Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Americans are leery of Puerto Rico IMO. There are some tremendous dive operations all over the island, including Vieques and all around the west, south, and east sides.

I wonder why most folks haven’t looked into it?

Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, all have excellent diving.
I tried looking, with the travel hassles I looked like a good alternative but getting good info was difficult and getting to curaçao opened up and I dropped it.

how is shore diving there? Where can you get a deal on unlimited tanks, truck rental, this sort of thing.

I've only visited Haiti on cruise stops at Labadee; the rest of Haiti sounds so terrible topside (for the residents) it's hard to envision it as a tourist destination (in my mind, Haiti and Ethiopia bring up similar gut reactions by reputation). I've thought about D.R. (1 cruise ship stop in Samana); by reports the best diving may be in the Bayahibe area with an outfit called Scuba Fun (they've gotten strong reviews on Scuba Board), which seems to be away from the main places I hear of for A.I. resorts (as in, leave family to have a good time while I head off to dive).

I visited Puerto Rico on cruise stops multiple times (2 dives with Sea Ventures out of Fajardo). Nice place. If I were going alone, I'd want 4 boat dives/day, or at a minimum 3, and restaurants close at hand so I didn't have to drive much. If taking my wife and kid (maybe mother-in-law), I'd need them entertained while I did 2 morning boat dives/day.

I don't see a convenient 'package deal' option (like Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo, Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, Scuba Club Cozumel (and more options) in Cozumel, Anthony's Key or CocoView Resort in Roatan). But I may have missed an offering. Puerto Rico is also large enough that where to go would be a question.

Just dove PR in June. Love that place~!
Cool! Where did you go and what did you see? Would love to hear about it!

I tried looking, with the travel hassles I looked like a good alternative but getting good info was difficult and getting to curaçao opened up and I dropped it.

how is shore diving there? Where can you get a deal on unlimited tanks, truck rental, this sort of thing.

+1

I imagine there are some interesting sights in Haiti, but it definitely doesn’t seem like a tourist destination or place I want to vacation. I used to work with someone whose husband traveled there regularly on some consulting work and I heard too much. I also went to HS with someone who does charity work with kids there and donated to their work, I expect that’s as close as I will get. (I assume there is also lots of sustenance fishing there.)

DR I’ve also always heard the diving isn’t worth bothering with in the areas where most tourism occurs. Maybe this is no longer the case and/or the place has just not been discovered, but I’ve heard of no turnkey dive opportunities, which will be an entry point for many people.

Puerto Rico seems like it would be so convenient, or should be. But its a big island and I always hear the diving isn’t that great on the eastern end which is closer to the main airport and most general tourism. And better at the western end, but harder to get to, not so much for places to stay, and a few small dive ops that have sounded a bit random about reliably going out. And nothing resembling turnkey dive setups there either. (When the Nekton liveaboard and occasionally others were there, did they dive along the coast, or head straight to Mona? Why?)

I’ve always wondered if there is a big chicken and egg problem in PR, relative to diving. Even if there is worthwhile diving, there is not critical mass to make it easier. And without it being easier it won’t develop critical mass. If a place doesn’t promote it, and no one there has the the resources and thinks it makes sense to have a “build it and they will come” strategy, it’s unlikely to happen.

In the spirit of trying to be 'part of the solution,' and knowing people researching these destination options by Search may run across this thread:

1.) Bayahibe 2015 Trip Report by Qnape. Stayed at a nearby Iberostar, which is a recognizable brand name in resorts (in other words, I recall there's one on Cozumel!). He was picked up daily and noted it was a short 5 minute drive. Quite a positive review.

2.) Diving in Puerto Rico - an old 2014 thread but one I keep in mind because @ginovega gave a detailed overview I like as a good place to start. That thread is over 7 years old and time brings change, so be aware.

3.) Puerto Rico Diving - 2019 report by MyShadeOfRed. Last minute Labor Day weekend trip to San Juan with friends, dove out of Fajardo with Sea Ventures (noted to be over an hour drive from San Juan). She said if she goes back she wants to stay on the island of Culebra and go with a charter of just divers. In Post #4 @ibj40 mentioned having been to Puerto Rico 3 times - Rincon (Desecheo and La Parguera), Playa Santa (La Parguera Wall) and Culebra (which required a flight on a small plane). In Post #24 @ginovega noted there's plenty to do shore side anywhere in Puerto Rico.

4.) Any Info. on Decent Diving Prices in Puerto Rico? 2019 Thread discussing cost concerns.

5.) Trip Report: West Divers, La Parguera December 2018 - trip report by @jlevine who mentioning yearly dive trips to La Parguera.

6.) Any Decent Diving near San Juan, Puerto Rico? A 2016 thread. See Ginovega's Post #4 - he noted the best diving is in the southwest - and Post #8.

7.) Diving for Beginners in Puerto Rico - 2016 thread by LunaBuna, researching for a trip to Puerto Rico staying in Fajardo but including a couple of days in Vieques.

8.) Where to Dive in Puerto Rico, September 2014? Thread by vidrineb. In Post #4, @ginovega stated if you want to see the best diving in Puerto Rico you need to head to the southwest of the island, and "...Ponce, Guanica, Parguera, Mayaguez, Rincon, Desecheo, Aguadilla are some if the areas you need to look to dive."

Looking at Puerto Rico I see a huge place with multiple options I know hardly anything about, strange-sounding foreign place names that don't stick in my mind, each with its own pro.s and con.s list, and a lot of info. needed to compare and contrast. PADITravel.com has a page on Puerto Rico, but I don't see much that'd tell me where on the island to stay.

If I were planning a Puerto Rico trip, I'd want a short list of mainstream areas a diver might want to go, the comparative pro.s and con.s of each, and at least one reputable hotel or resort and dive shop for each, ideally with a trip report and package price to get a ballpark idea of cost.

The thing for me is, can I find Bonaire/Curcao type diving there, not a fan of the added expense of quick run boat diving ok with live aboard but really prefer the freedom of shore diving.

My wife and I have been to PR, but the trip were all before I was certified, so I have no diving experience there. On one trip we took a boat ride out to Vieques and did some snorkeling there, and it seemed pretty good. The passage from Fajardo was pretty rough though. I don't get seasick, but my wife does very easily. She looked like she couldn't decide which she wanted more, to kill me or to vomit. There were only a handful of us on the boat who didn't look green. I'm not sure if the conditions are usually choppy like that or if it just happened to be that day.

As far as topside goes, I absolutely love PR. The food is amazing (but I may be biased, as my father's family is from the island and I grew up eating the food), and the people are awesome. The strip along Playa Luquillo has some great restaurants, including one place (La Parilla, if memory serves) where you can choose the lobster you want and they grill it fresh. Eating a 4 lb. lobster along with arroz y habicheulas and all the appetizers we had already eaten was quite the challenge! El Yunque is really cool to experience. Towns like Fajardo, Ponce (nice museums), Rincon, and Aguadilla are all nice to see. Strolling Viejo San Juan is a wonderful way to spend a day, and the San Felipe del Morro and San Cristobal forts are pretty cool to see.

Any thoughts on why it doesn't seem to be more of a mainstream dive destination (I'm thinking land-based, but live-aboard is also a worthy question) with more 'mindshare' (as judged from forum threads and trip reports)? Even if I focus on boat diving and exclude shore diving focused destinations, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize seem to heavily lead in the region...with the Florida Keys also getting attention.

Puerto Rico is large, it's got topside attractions, it's a U.S. territory...seems like it'd be a rocking good dive destination with a number of package deal offerings (e.g.: hotel, # of boat trips - like Rainbow Reef Dive Center offers in Key Largo).

Americans are leery of Puerto Rico IMO. There are some tremendous dive operations all over the island, including Vieques and all around the west, south, and east sides.

We've been to PR on dive trips three times, in June 2009, June 2015, and June 2017. Actually had a return trip planned for May 2020, but we all know how that went.

In 2009 we dove out of Rincon, hitting Desecheo two days, and then driving down to La Parguera for a two-tanker.

In 2015 we dove the La Parguera Wall out of Playa Santa (Guanica) for two days.

In 2017 we flew over to Culebra for two days of diving.

Our 2020 trip was going to be back in Culebra.

When you talk about topside attractions, nothing beats the history and charm of Old San Juan. We have spent two or three days each trip staying in one of the classic hotels, and nothing beats the variety and quality of food available.

In 2009, we took a side trip to the Arecibo Observatory (I am a big fan of the movie "Contact").

For our 2020 trip, we had planned to visit the El Yunque rainforest.

Hopefully if/when things return to normal, we'll be able to go back.

Back
Top Bottom