Shark Cage Diving? Not for me!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
They improved the cage design since then. Also on how the wrangler ties the bait on the line, if a shark got a bite on the bait, it’ll easily get off the line so the shark would get dragged and slingshot into the cage. The shark would just swim off with the bait.

I just came back from such cage diving. It’s pretty safe set up & operation.

wow, what an experience !

Here’s more story on that accident, including an interview with the diver, who wants to do it again.

I say see them in their natural habitat without chum, bait, or cage.

Great whites are one species I'd prefer to see from inside a cage. I've gone on 'shark feed' dives to see tiger sharks (none over 10 feet long; they can hit 16!). The question has come up on the forum in the past...would you knowingly get in the water with a great white (no cage). Some years back one of our more seasoned members related an account where this situation came up (I think it may've been at an oil rig?), and while the Captain seemed to think it was fine to do (I think as in 'You're here, pool's open, go in or not, no refund')...the diver decided not to do it.

It's interesting we don't see a great white equivalent of Tiger Beach in the Bahamas, where people go to dive cageless with tiger sharks. I've read of one guy who took people out in South Africa for cageless encounters.

There's a video on You Tube somewhere with a guy in a 'ghost box' (transparent acrylic box about the size of a small coffin...how appropriate) in water with good viz. with plenty of great whites around. One eventually gnawed on that box (with him in it).

Are great whites more aggressive/dangerous than bull sharks? I went on a cageless bull shark dive in Mexico. They didn't feed the sharks on that dive, but there are other dives where they do feed, and the feeder just wears chain mail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom