Weird fish off Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I saw this unusual (to me) fish off Maui a week ago while there on vacation. It's got me stumped.

I consulted three fish guidebooks I have for Hawaii, and tried seeing if inaturalist.org's computer algorithm could help me out. Neither was helpful: inaturalist suggested it was a ray-finned fish. Great, along with everything from morays to angelfish.....

Anybody recognize it?

(Apologies for poor image quality. Not my best work, but I think it shows the diagnostic features you'd need to identify it. If you, unlike me, had any idea what it was....)

Attachments

• odd fish.JPG
    odd fish.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
I think that falls under my rule of thumb, "If you don't know what it is and it's fish shaped, it's a wrasse."

Probably a Christmas Wrasse. Here's one with similar markings. Christmas Wrasse - Hawaii
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking something wrasse-like, but this one didn't look anything like a Christmas wrasse in my guidebooks. Seems like how green or red they are varies a lot.

I'm surprised inaturalist couldn't help me out, since Christmas wrasse aren't all that uncommon. I've seen them before, but I guess never one so green....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom