System Crash 2021/08/20 or, Oops, we did it again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is why they have ads here
This comment doesn’t address my point that more money would be helpful. And a rhetorical question for all the non-supporters: how many times have you clicked through an ad on this site and bought something?

If you were to add a paywall
Who is suggesting a paywall? Seems like we are a little defensive. Was just a friendly encouragement to consider donating to help out.

Clearly Pete is getting rich off my donation as he sucks the website dry, :confused: but in the off chance that’s not accurate, a few more "going red" just might help reduce server issues and get some of the added features people have mentioned in this thread.

I noticed that the forum now has web.scubaboard.com instead of www.scubaboard.com. As such links are coming up as not found, this includes emails from the site from watched discussions. Simple fix is to change the www. to web. in the address bar and that gets me there, but others may not be aware and get the resulting 404 Not Found error. Search engines of course are all indexed to the www. too.

Yeah, a lot of internal links are correct it seems, but many are not. For example, I can scroll down to the classifieds section and the links to various classified sections works, but the links further up (for instance, under the Rebreather header) still link over to www and thus give a 404 error when clicked.

I can understand the frustration. And adding a certificate with the previous names seems like a simple task. Except that lots of other issues are making that task not so simple anymore.

The bright side is that the board is working, but it's like a CCR unit with sofnolime that has been used too long, and the oxygen cells have been used for too long as well. A new CCR has been ordered and is on the way, and once it's here, the old one will be replaced.

Any AWS experts on the board: contact me by pm!

This comment doesn’t address my point that more money would be helpful. And a rhetorical question for all the non-supporters: how many times have you clicked through an ad on this site and bought something?

Who is suggesting a paywall? Seems like we are a little defensive. Was just a friendly encouragement to consider donating to help out.

Clearly Pete is getting rich off my donation as he sucks the website dry, :confused: but in the off chance that’s not accurate, a few more "going red" just might help reduce server issues and get some of the added features people have mentioned in this thread.
I am not being defensive, just posting my opinion.

A paywall is the only thing that would force people to pay if the ad revenue is too low … and since you didn’t seem to target anyone I thought you meant to address the general issue, so in my mind the next logical step would be to add a paywall.

I understand now that you also think that a paywall is not a good solution, so basically we don’t have a good proposal to increase the funding and we are back to square 1 :)

@The Chairman I noticed that both you and I no longer have the red bold name under our avatar. I sent $$ to contribute and had the red bold letters, ,but after the crash it revert to black.

Id help you out if I could but I am a novice with messing with AWS.

@Miyaru if you want an old unix sysadmin/coder w/ no AWS nor XenForo experience to serve as a rubber duck for your debugging session, pm me (or e-mail my SB username at wisc.edu)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom