New Diver & trying to Buddy Up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go dive BHB and LBTS in the meantime. Chat people up as you are gearing up and after the dive. Ask them I you can tag along. You will slowly make buddies. Ask them if they are going on the boats any time soon. Start doing some Ft. Lauderdale boat dives - if you are still struggling with equalizing they are not as deep as WPB or Jupiter dives and there usually isn't the need to rush to the bottom like those due to less current.

Go dive BHB and LBTS in the meantime. Chat people up as you are gearing up and after the dive. Ask them I you can tag along. You will slowly make buddies. Ask them if they are going on the boats any time soon. Start doing some Ft. Lauderdale boat dives - if you are still struggling with equalizing they are not as deep as WPB or Jupiter dives and there usually isn't the need to rush to the bottom like those due to less current.
Is it normal to show up to the picnic area at the BHB and try to third wheel into another group?! :D:D:D

When I left Jeddah 24 years ago to move to Dubai I only knew two people here, who unfortunately split up weeks after my arrival and the only two people I knew who dived in Dubai were gone!

I left behind a very active group of dive buddies and suddenly faced the realisation that I had to find new people, who hopefully had the same interests as me.

It took months and several trips with one of the local dive shops because the internet did not exist here back in 1997 to find some dive buddies who were into photography.

You have to be proactive as @Marie13 mentioned earlier.

Hang around BHB if it's local enough, loads of divers go there from what I've seen when I dived there several years ago, you're bound to meet other divers.

Is it normal to show up to the picnic area at the BHB and try to third wheel into another group?! :D:D:D
I can't speak to BHB, but I was just at a new to me site last weekend.... showed up alone, asked to tag along with the first group I saw. Ended up being an OWD class with one certified family member following along... they all said sure, and I ended up diving 2 days in a row with some really cool people that I plan to stay in touch with.
Just put yourself out there, be honest about your ability, and most will probably be glad to have another along with them. If you're ever up in the panhandle, shoot me a message. I'll dive with you!

Respectfully,

James

I do if I show up solo to a site that I am not that familiar with and have done it at BHB. I have no shame. I will be at BHB this Friday; Saturday and Sunday in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef.

I do if I show up solo to a site that I am not that familiar with and have done it at BHB. I have no shame. I will be at BHB this Friday; Saturday and Sunday in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef.
Ah shoot, I work a 9 to 5. I'm a natural introvert is all, the idea of walking up to people alone vs with a buddy (or two) is daunting... haha

I mean yea I could coordinate with my shop and see when they say a lot of solo divers are showing up on a boat trip. My checkout was filled with older folks who said they did cave dives often and usually do rebreather. One said he was 75 and he would keep doing caves until his doctor told him to stop. 0_0

@SubNeo natural introvert is me to a t. Here is a conversation I had with a husband and wife team at BHB:

Me: Hey, how do you like that backplate and wing?
Them: Oh, it's the best gear choice we ever made!
Me: Cool, mine too. Are you diving here today (obviously, they are gearing up)?
Them: Yeah.
Me: Mind if I tag along - I am new here but heard it is a great spot and don't know the layout?
Them: Of course. We dive here all the time..blah, blah, blah.
Me: (To myself - I can't wait to we go in, these extroverts won't stop talking about themselves).

As far as showing up solo on a boat it can be the best thing - you may get buddied up with the divemaster.

Don't worry about showing up alone there will usually be a buddy willing to dive with you - at least once, that is.

@SubNeo natural introvert is me to a t. Here is a conversation I had with a husband and wife team at BHB:

Me: Hey, how do you like that backplate and wing?
Them: Oh, it's the best gear choice we ever made!
Me: Cool, mine too. Are you diving here today (obviously, they are gearing up)?
Them: Yeah.
Me: Mind if I tag along - I am new here but heard it is a great spot and don't know the layout?
Them: Of course. We dive here all the time..blah, blah, blah.
Me: (To myself - I can't wait to we go in, these extroverts won't stop talking about themselves).

As far as showing up solo on a boat it can be the best thing - you may get buddied up with the divemaster.

Don't worry about showing up alone there will usually be a buddy willing to dive with you - at least once, that is.
Oi, the confidence. Also again with the backplates lol. Everywhere I turn someone is talking about backplate/wing.

Also start a thread in Florida and sub-forums looking for a buddy.

BHB has a thread somewhere, find it and chat with them.

To get a buddy need to be as persistent as those folks that call me about a car warranty. If someone says and you can't get togather at first, keep in touch, may be it will work out later.

And so on

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom