Polish fatality in Dahab, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh cr@p

1 died, 1 ended up in decompression chamber. It was attepmted dive to the depth of 100m.

I will post more info as soon as it is released (thread on FB).

Trying for the Arch?

Trying for the Arch?

Isn't the arch at 60m?

I've reached out to a friend who is there right now to find out if he's heard anything.

Isn't the arch at 60m?

I've reached out to a friend who is there right now to find out if he's heard anything.

Oh, I didn't know . . .only that many have died trying to dive it.

Thankfully the Polish guy I know there is safe and well.

According to this description of another incident in Dahab, the bottom of the Blue Hole is at 100m

Correct, I was referring to the depth of the Arch that Chilly mentioned.

Whilst I don’t know the details of this tragedy and if it was a tech dive or recreational dive gone wrong I would make this comment as a general statement for anyone contemplating deep diving with little or no training.

Sad part is that diving to 100m is not super dangerous, as long as you know how to dive it and have the right gear. Yes its high risk, but you mitigate the risk as much as possible by planning and redundancy. I suspect many die doing the blue hole dive simply as they are neither equipped for the dive, or have the wrong gas (or often both) and do not understand decompression for a dive at that depth. I guess many dive with just air, which is just insane. They try a bounce dive, rather than a fully planned out dive. That will be very sketchy at best. Lets look at a single tank dive to 100m. You will use 11 times the gas volume than at the surface. If we assume the diver is nervous and using say 35 litres a min at the surface, that’s 385 litres/min at 100m. Assume an aluminium tank 210BAR Air and 11 litres volume, 2310 litres so the diver has 6 minutes at 100m with no gas to ascent let alone do decompression as well.

Dec to 100m (5) Air 18m/min descent.
Level 100m 0:27 (6) Air 2.29 ppO2, 100m ead
Asc to 48m (12) Air -8m/min ascent.
Asc to 18m (16) Air -8m/min ascent.
Stop at 18m 5:45 (22) Air 0.59 ppO2, 18m ead
Stop at 15m 2:00 (24) Air 0.52 ppO2, 15m ead
Stop at 12m 4:00 (28) Air 0.46 ppO2, 12m ead
Stop at 9m 6:00 (34) Air 0.40 ppO2, 9m ead
Stop at 6m 11:00 (45) Air 0.34 ppO2, 6m ead
Stop at 3m 25:00 (70) Air 0.27 ppO2, 3m ead
Surface (70) Air -6m/min ascent.

OTU's this dive: 29
CNS Total: 432.4%
Gas density: 13.1g/l
3752.7 ltr Air
3752.7 ltr TOTAL

Looking at this dive plan, 5 min to get to 100m, 0.27 seconds at 100m, 65 minutes of deco and 3752 litres of air required from our 2310 of gas we are carrying. And we have not even considered the nitrogen effect at 100 with air, gas density etc. Now putting this into perspective with an untrained recreational diver with a single tank of air and its simply a disaster waiting to happen.

Edit: After translating some of the report it seems on this occasion it was a technical dive, and just so sad. Whilst I did not know the individual, condolences to those who did know him.

For us, its a lesson in that even though you may be trained in something, things can always go wrong, even to the most experienced. So those who have little or no experience are playing Russian roulette with their lives to try such a depth (and this is not a reflection on the incident at hand as I don’t have sufficient detail for that, but simply something for those of us who dive to think about).

Whilst I don’t know the details of this tragedy and if it was a tech dive or recreational dive gone wrong I would make this comment as a general statement for anyone contemplating deep diving with little or no training.

Sad part is that diving to 100m is not super dangerous, as long as you know how to dive it and have the right gear. Yes its high risk, but you mitigate the risk as much as possible by planning and redundancy. I suspect many die doing the blue hole dive simply as they are neither equipped for the dive, or have the wrong gas (or often both) and do not understand decompression for a dive at that depth. I guess many dive with just air, which is just insane. They try a bounce dive, rather than a fully planned out dive. That will be very sketchy at best. Lets look at a single tank dive to 100m. You will use 11 times the gas volume than at the surface. If we assume the diver is nervous and using say 35 litres a min at the surface, that’s 385 litres/min at 100m. Assume an aluminium tank 210BAR Air and 11 litres volume, 2310 litres so the diver has 6 minutes at 100m with no gas to ascent let alone do decompression as well.

Dec to 100m (5) Air 18m/min descent.
Level 100m 0:27 (6) Air 2.29 ppO2, 100m ead
Asc to 48m (12) Air -8m/min ascent.
Asc to 18m (16) Air -8m/min ascent.
Stop at 18m 5:45 (22) Air 0.59 ppO2, 18m ead
Stop at 15m 2:00 (24) Air 0.52 ppO2, 15m ead
Stop at 12m 4:00 (28) Air 0.46 ppO2, 12m ead
Stop at 9m 6:00 (34) Air 0.40 ppO2, 9m ead
Stop at 6m 11:00 (45) Air 0.34 ppO2, 6m ead
Stop at 3m 25:00 (70) Air 0.27 ppO2, 3m ead
Surface (70) Air -6m/min ascent.

OTU's this dive: 29
CNS Total: 432.4%
Gas density: 13.1g/l
3752.7 ltr Air
3752.7 ltr TOTAL

Looking at this dive plan, 5 min to get to 100m, 0.27 seconds at 100m, 65 minutes of deco and 3752 litres of air required from our 2310 of gas we are carrying. And we have not even considered the nitrogen effect at 100 with air, gas density etc. Now putting this into perspective with an untrained recreational diver with a single tank of air and its simply a disaster waiting to happen.

Edit: After translating some of the report it seems on this occasion it was a technical dive, and just so sad. Whilst I did not know the individual, condolences to those who did know him.

For us, its a lesson in that even though you may be trained in something, things can always go wrong, even to the most experienced. So those who have little or no experience are playing Russian roulette with their lives to try such a depth (and this is not a reflection on the incident at hand as I don’t have sufficient detail for that, but simply something for those of us who dive to think about).

The link you used to read a description of an accident was about a traged that happened in 2000. Apologies for confusion, I only referenced it as a source of information about 100m depth. I have removed the link now to prevent further confusions.

I higly doubt it was an attempt on a single tank with a recreational diver. The person reporting the incident referred to both dive buddies (the one who died and the one who ended up in deco chamber) as “our divers”. I have explored his FB account a bit and found a post from May 2021 showing 3 guys in a restaurant in Dahab with a quote “Strong heliox team”. Whether one of those is the author of the post or whether those are just visiting divers, it implies technical diving as an area of activity for the author of the post.

There are still no more details about the accident, only condolences being given on FB.

Back
Top Bottom