Unoffical Scubaboard Goliath Grouper aggregation dives Aug 21-2 and Sept 25-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... Screaming current in wpb in 100 feet today... 4.7 mph on the surface, ...
That will really 'Bunch up" the GG's to hide together from the current. They are pretty lazy and won't fight it. If it stays that way,, they will all be on the wrecks.

Thank you so much for the conditions report.......This is going to be GREAT weekend !!

That will really 'Bunch up" the GG's to hide together from the current. They are pretty lazy and won't fight it. If it stays that way,, they will all be on the wrecks.

Thank you so much for the conditions report.......This is going to be GREAT weekend !!

Yeah and I have seen them school up and hold very tight, just above the thermocline, trying to stay warm, I guess.

Just dove with JDC Thursday Aug 19
Strong current on the Jupiter wreck trek, flat seas, bottom temp of 82F, viz about 50.
(Capt did mention the other day they had bottom temps in the mid 70s, so we definetly got lucky)
I counted 12 GGs together on the east side of the Zion train, and we spent about 25 minutes there just enjoying them. They were close enough to touch..
We then drifted past the Miss Jenny and after what seemed like just a couple of kicks we arrived at the bow of the Esso Bonaire, and were greeted with a medium sized lemon shark and about 6 to 8 GGs hanging in front of the bow. Mid ship a school of great barracuda were hanging out.

Second dive was MG-111. Current not as strong and also 82F. and while not as many, there were still several huge GGs grouped together.
We then checked out several of the pillars, but I just saw 3 GGs swimming between them. Once back on the boat, another group of divers said that they saw about 15 to 20 GGs at the pillars all the way east. Just my luck, I went west then north to the other pillars..

Great dive and good luck to my friends on the next couple of days!!

4+ knot current on the Castor this morning! Saw maybe 10 GG’s hanging in front of the stern super structure. I spent the majority of the dive hanging on filming. Didn’t swim much. Bottom temp was in the mid 80s and viz was 60+. Looking forward to tomorrow.

The current on the Castor was nuts, I noped out of the dive after it was tough to even get to the ball. The couple by me where I put on and stripped off my drysuit, the husband apparently might have strained or pulled his bicep pulling his way down. So me with my greater drag (drysuit, pony, and camera) was probably right to nope out.

I did go down, but without my camera when the DM was hot dropped on the wreck for a drift ascent. We went down and down and bam there was the wreck a short distance away. We spent a few minutes, I looked at the three hiding near the wheel house, until he released the down line. After I saw the down line pull a Linda Ronstadt, I pulled out my DSMB to deploy it. I put what felt like a full breath and it went away. Around 50 foot I noticed that my line was not the 45 degrees up I would've expected and instead was down below me. Whatever I was reeling it in. At around 30 feet the prodigal son returned and started drifting upward and finally to the surface.

I need to practice DSMB deployment and blue water ascents. But it was workable, I wouldn't want to do deco on that ascent, but workable for rec.

Dive 2 was on the Boynton Ledge, not much to see, but lots and lots of barrel sponges. Many was wide or wider than a 55 gal drum, and a number taller to. I saw at least a 4 foot long parrot fish, I thought it was a Goliath at first until it turned. Also a friendly 4ft Nurse Shark, probably looking for a free meal. And a number of good sized Lobster.

Overall I like Starfish, the crew is helpful, and the boat isn't overly packed. In fact there was plenty of room to gear up, and even get out away from the sun, as they don't pack the boat with divers bow to stern. That being said, if I do Castor again it was will a hot drop with a drift ascent.

Sorry to @CosbySweater I didn't talk much, I was trying to stay out of the sun.

4+ knot current on the Castor this morning! Saw maybe 10 GG’s hanging in front of the stern super structure. I spent the majority of the dive hanging on filming. Didn’t swim much. Bottom temp was in the mid 80s and viz was 60+. Looking forward to tomorrow.

The current on the Castor was nuts, I noped out of the dive after it was tough to even get to the ball. The couple by me where I put on and stripped off my drysuit, the husband apparently might have strained or pulled his bicep pulling his way down. So me with my greater drag (drysuit, pony, and camera) was probably right to nope out.

I did go down, but without my camera when the DM was hot dropped on the wreck for a drift ascent. We went down and down and bam there was the wreck a short distance away. We spent a few minutes, I looked at the three hiding near the wheel house, until he released the down line. After I saw the down line pull a Linda Ronstadt, I pulled out my DSMB to deploy it. I put what felt like a full breath and it went away. Around 50 foot I noticed that my line was not the 45 degrees up I would've expected and instead was down below me. Whatever I was reeling it in. At around 30 feet the prodigal son returned and started drifting upward and finally to the surface.

I need to practice DSMB deployment and blue water ascents. But it was workable, I wouldn't want to do deco on that ascent, but workable for rec.

Dive 2 was on the Boynton Ledge, not much to see, but lots and lots of barrel sponges. Many was wide or wider than a 55 gal drum, and a number taller to. I saw at least a 4 foot long parrot fish, I thought it was a Goliath at first until it turned. Also a friendly 4ft Nurse Shark, probably looking for a free meal. And a number of good sized Lobster.

Overall I like Starfish, the crew is helpful, and the boat isn't overly packed. In fact there was plenty of room to gear up, and even get out away from the sun, as they don't pack the boat with divers bow to stern. That being said, if I do Castor again it was will a hot drop with a drift ascent.

Sorry to @CosbySweater I didn't talk much, I was trying to stay out of the sun.

Though I'm skeptical of a 4+ knot current, the Castor can certainly have some rippers. Hitting the ball is usually not too difficult as you are dropped up current and just have to aim for it. Getting down can sometimes be work when the line is humming. Once down, it is not too difficult to stay out of most of the current. Even getting to the bow can be done, though it is a deep swim.

Sorry, I'm not familiar, what is the line pulled a Linda Ronstadt? Who was the DM today, was it Ren? The Castor can be a challenging dive, today was one of those. Many of the dives in Boynton can be challenging with very brisk current, especially the outside reef.

Though I'm skeptical of a 4+ knot current, the Castor can certainly have some rippers. Hitting the ball is usually not too difficult as you are dropped up current and just have to aim for it. Getting down can sometimes be work when the line is humming. Once down, it is not too difficult to stay out of most of the current. Even getting to the bow can be done, though it is a deep swim.

Sorry, I'm not familiar, what is the line pulled a Linda Ronstadt? Who was the DM today, was it Ren? The Castor can be a challenging dive, today was one of those. Many of the dives in Boynton can be challenging with very brisk current, especially the outside reef.

Someone should create a wind sock-like chart to estimate current speed while a diver is hanging on the ascent/descent line. I looked like a wind sock in a 15+ kt wind at the safety stop :D. In all seriousness 4 kt what was I heard but no one was out there measuring. Whatever it was it was movin.

141C6E42-E5AF-4B55-BE39-F11BBD262F8F.png

@Manatee Diver good diving with you today. Looking forward to diving with you and others again tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom