Tropical Storm Grace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomorrow should be a good indicator of what to expect from the latest port captain for the upcoming El Norte season later this year.
There is a giant difference between prepping for a Hurricane and a Norte. Even rescue boats will likely be out of the water by tomorrow afternoon. You issue rules keeping in mind contingencies where things don’t go according to plan. There is probably plenty of time to do a 2 tank dive tomorrow if nothing goes wrong. Authorities are supposed to allow for one or two things going wrong and still getting divers and crew back to shore safely.

The cone of hate keeps shifting south. The Cancun airport is now out of it, and hopefully the island may be as well. Of course, these storms have their own minds and who knows.

upload_2021-8-17_23-48-20.png

Things don't look so good for the east side of the island. We may need to replace our Tshirt that we sign every year at Coconuts.

Last forecast (5pm eastern) not good Cozumel. Centerline would take it over Punta Sur more or less with the entire island catching the dirty side of the storm and hurricane force winds. Hearing thunder from one of outer bands now. Overall day hasn't been too bad. A little rain here and there, winds have picked up and died down a few times. Hopefully track will shift a little further south. Here the mainland beaches need the seaweed removed. I probably posted same graphic twice below. Sorry--

upload_2021-8-18_16-46-17.png
upload_2021-8-18_16-46-17.png

Don't think you are going to want to be diving Cedros or Palancar Deep or Devil's Throat this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Overall day hasn't been too bad. A little rain here and there, winds have picked up and died down a few times. View attachment 677359View attachment 677359

We're on the island now too, the original forecast had it hitting here right about now, and then backed it off, supposed to get here about 2 a.m. Been coming here for 16 years now, and this'll be our first hurricane. Its been interesting to see the reaction of the locals though, very interesting. Nobody is stripping shelves of food or water, there's no runs on gasoline or supplies, everyone is just going about their business like "no big deal," they boarded up everything downtown and went home. As noted above, day hasn't been bad, my wife and I actually got out about an hour ago and walked a couple miles to get some exercise, it was a little windy but nothing significant. I guess we'll close up the storm shutters in a little while, hit the sack, and deal with it in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom