Waterproof N95 mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know about an n95 (or kn95) mask that it waterproof so it will not disintegrate on a dive boat? Also, how do you deal with rinsing your mask on a dive boat that is too high to just reach down and rinse the mask in the ocean? TIA

Also, how do you deal with rinsing your mask on a dive boat that is too high to just reach down and rinse the mask in the ocean? TIA

spray defog then use a water bottle to splash some water in it, easy peasy

Don’t think waterproof N95 exist. A cloth mask - or two at once - is your best bet.

Does anyone know about an n95 (or kn95) mask that it waterproof so it will not disintegrate on a dive boat? Also, how do you deal with rinsing your mask on a dive boat that is too high to just reach down and rinse the mask in the ocean? TIA
There isn't ever going to be one. The way those masks eliminate micron particles is by using electrostatic fields (aka static electricity). But water is polar (has a slight charge) so it is going to keep the electric field from doing its job. And masks in general do not work well when wet. So I think you'd have to keep it in a dry bag/box until you put it on.

As for mask rinsing, I bring a 5L water bag on board for equipment and hydration.

I have VanGough with me everywhere I go and water and a piece of string

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5jOML3VjFxl64l1RTrJ7jnPXRjWHRMyDDaPp5RDWvhXsxT8Vpjvk&usqp=CAc.png

that I keep tied around my finger, and my mask, any finger just not too tight

I use a defog from Seasoft that requires no rinsing. In a blue pump spray bottle. Smells like margaritas, too! :D

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but being covid negative, wearing an N95 on a dive boat outside and mostly in motion and in sunlight is not statistically going to add anything to their protection. -MD

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but being covid negative, wearing an N95 on a dive boat outside and mostly in motion and in sunlight is not statistically going to add anything to their protection. -MD
Oh, absolutely. I am about as cautious about Covid as anyone. We have dined indoors exactly once since this began, skipped Thanksgiving, etc. That said, all the evidence suggests that simply being outside is roughly as effective as a properly worn N95. A dive boat open on three sides, with brisk ocean breezes, is going to be very low risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom