Compass - $20(aliexpress) vs $40 vs $80 (made in italy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Im looking at compasses and noticed that DGX sells the $40 and it says Italy on it. I do an amazon search on some compasses and also see made in Italy. Those are around $80 as well. I look on Aliexpress and they have a $20 one. 5 stars, over 250 user reviews.

I know brass and glass SPG come out of Italy, but what about the compass? Im definitely not spending $80 on a compass. DGX $40 is reasonable. I tried googling compass made in Italy and all I get is Jeep Compass made in Italy stuff. I did read some history on compasses and it Flavio Gioja perfected the sailor compass.

So what's the deal on compasses?

I have used Suunto SK7's and 8's.
They are a decent compass,
In my personal experience buyer beware with aliexpress.
Buy once cry once, or buy it nice or buy it twice.

Yup, I am a frequent aliexpress purchaser and can say there are hits and misses. Most the misses are $1-10 items, and as you go up in price, it tends to get better.

I actually have a 30lb wing that I bought in 11/30/2019. The bladder has a date stamp of 11/27/2019 and the material is good. The seems are solid and precise. The cutout of the material is consistent, and it holds air for over 2 days with no loss of pressure. I wouldn't buy a regulator from there though. I bought some weight pockets, book screws, backplate, and all is good. Just ordered SMDB.

After years of using a Taiwan cheapo wrist mount compass and having no complaints, a decent mid range compass fell into my hands. A definite improvement, quicker to stabilize and less prone to sticking when held at a bit of an angle. I would want a compass known to have tilt potential +/- 30 degrees.

I am quite lucky as my dive buddy racks up a freakish amount of dive time each year. If gear last him a year or two I am happy buying it.

Suunto SK-8
The only suunto kit I have.
The SK8 has a tilt potential of plus or minus 30 degrees.
Pay for quality.
Compass.jpg

Ahh, that is good info. This may steer me towards the $80! I read $40 DGX has +/- 10 degrees and the $60 has 30. This is certainly steering me away from Aliexpress one.

Suunto SK-8 and a Cheap Aliexpress, you can not tilt the cheapie past 10o, and you can see the SK-8 in the dark.
The cheap one lives on my boat as a spare.
20210820_160919.jpg
20210820_161310.jpg

I have 8-10 zmrut suunto compasses

All of my sunto compass capsules have through osmosis

lost all fluid, with no obvious, means of leaking

lost half their fluid and replaced it with bubbles

lost half the fluid and replaced it with sea water

lost the fluid replaced it with seawater and rust

I'm missing one, full of seawater, fish, and kelp.

And multiples of above

They have all lived in these

full.jpg

because you can't do compassing, from your wrist

That is a cheapo, it works better than a bought one

Do you like my fat dump string, standing up by itself

Buy cheap and buy big

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom