Diving Santorini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbaneve71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all...I am traveling to Santorini in Sept and would love to squeeze in a few dives, cam anyone give me the 411 on divulge Greece (where to go, type or dive, etc) thanks

Hello,
Sorry I never dived there so I can't give you specific details, but I have been there several times hence I can give you general info.

Generally by diving in the Mediterranean sea usually one should expect:
- easy conditions (clear, warm waters, good visibility, no currents)
- not much fish life (there is macro stuff, but one should know how to look for these tiny things and usually guides don't bother).
- interesting landscapes
- possibility of seeing archeological artifacts underwater (eg clay pots, ancient anchors and of course wrecks - although I don't know if there is any accessible ones in Santorini).
- quite often entering easy caves/caverns here is considered ok even for OW or advanced divers. This is (usually) discussed beforehand (during the briefings) and it is known/expected that some divers won't feel comfortable with it, hence usually dive operators are able to cater them too (a guide stays with the "deniers" waiting for the rest of the group or following another route all together). If you dare to enter, usually they are very nice dives. If you don't, that's ok too. If you are not sure, you can usually go and see how it goes on the spot. Worst case you stay outside with a guide. Just discuss any of your concerns with them before.
- overall nice day activity including the boat ride along a nice route, swim/snorkel to some nice beach/shore etc.

About dive operators you should be able to search online for them.

Another thing, usually there are several other things to see/do on the island. Hence if you have only few days diving might not worth the trouble. If you have a lot of days (say more than a week) then it fits for sure.

Don't forget to see the sunset from Fira and Ia , visit the archeological museum and the Akrotiri archeological site, take the volcano day trip, and if possible rent a car to see the whole island (beaches, villages etc). Also enjoy the food and in general try to spot and avoid tourist traps (usually places that try to persuade you to go there should be avoided). Restaurants/bars on the west side of the caldera (with the nice view) are more expensive and usually the food is not as good as restaurants hidden in the allays (but you don't get the spectacular view).

Let me know if you need more help.

I was there for my 25th anniversary in 2013 and dove one day. I don't remember the name of the outfit, but there's no telling what's happened over the last 8 years anyway. We were there in mid September and it was very windy-the dive actually got delayed a day because of rough seas. My recollection is water temp was upper 70s and I was pretty comfortable in a rental 5mm. Viz was fantastic although there wasn't a tremendous amount to see. It's a volcanic island but there's some granitic rock on one side of the island. On the second dive, nearer the caldera, I swore I saw a large stone that had to have been quarried and my imagination told me it was part of a building that collapsed into the sea during the eruption, but there's no history of underwater ruins that I'm aware of. We stayed at the Pegasus in Imerovigli right on the caldera and it was spectacular. Also, spend the extra money for business class on the ferry-well worth it.

Go to Mama's in Fira and ask Mama for some f#cking karpouzi (Greek for watermelon). It is an old joke from a Greek guy here in Seattle who asked Mama fior wateemelon in April. "What you think this is? The United States? We don't have no f#cking karpouzi!" was Mama's answer (she used to live in SF).

Is Santorini the only island you are visiting?

People who I know who went diving there were not too impressed. The most interesting site iin Greece in my opinion s the Roman shipwreck off Alonissos. If you are a cave diver there are a lot of caves even in many islands. If that interests you I can put you in contact with Stratis Kas.

Go to Mama's in Fira and ask Mama for some f#cking karpouzi (Greek for watermelon). It is an old joke from a Greek guy here in Seattle who asked Mama fior wateemelon in April. "What you think this is? The United States? We don't have no f#cking karpouzi!" was Mama's answer (she used to live in SF).

Is Santorini the only island you are visiting?

People who I know who went diving there were not too impressed. The most interesting site iin Greece in my opinion s the Roman shipwreck off Alonissos. If you are a cave diver there are a lot of caves even in many islands. If that interests you I can put you in contact with Stratis Kas.
Do you have a particular operator you recommend for Alonissos?

Unfortunately, I do not. I do know through FB someone who used to work on the island. I'll reach out to him and let you know what he says.

He said:

Triton... definitely the best of the island. In terms of facility and service... they pushed and organized the visits to that wreck.

thanks for the information, I googled “Alonissos wreck dive” and it looks quite an interesting place to visit:

Will add this to my ever growing things to do :)

Back
Top Bottom