New member from east TN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawk590

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello from Tennessee! I have been certified for a couple of years but didn't dive much. I went diving in Destin in October and I can't wait to go again. Looks like the local holes start back in May, so we may have to take a trip down to FL again soon. If there are any other East TN divers, I would like to find others to drive locally with. I have my own gear now, so it will be much easier.

Brian

Hello from Tennessee! I have been certified for a couple of years but didn't dive much. I went diving in Destin in October and I can't wait to go again. Looks like the local holes start back in May, so we may have to take a trip down to FL again soon. If there are any other East TN divers, I would like to find others to drive locally with. I have my own gear now, so it will be much easier.

Brian
Welcome to SB. Destin is our old "snowbird" stomping grounds. Where did you dive there? Shore? Wrecks? Did you go out with Emerald Coast or Scuba Tech.? I did a lot of courses back in 2006/7 with Emerald Coast and got my Master Diver there. Don't know if and when we'll be back-- the border is still closed of course.
I can give you some shore diving tips for Destin & PCB if you're going back. There are some boats that go out from Pensacola too. I've gone with Niuhi Diving 3 times, which was good.
If you're in at Emerald Coast say hello to Anna for me.

Welcome to Scuba Board. Enjoy whatever local diving you have, but gotta say, the ocean calls!

Looks like the local holes start back in May, so we may have to take a trip down to FL again soon. If there are any other East TN divers, I would like to find others to drive locally with.
Hi Brian, I'm in Knoxville, and there are some other East TN divers on here. My son and I dive at Philadelphia Quarry and Gray Quarry fairly often when it gets warmer, and always happy to have a 3rd buddy. There's also a Knoxville Scuba group on Facebook here: Facebook Groups which can be a good place to find dive buddies too -- several of those folks dive year round.

Yes, unless you dive drysuit it may be May or June before the quarries in East TN get warm enough. One of the local dive shops that we like, Alpha Divers, is doing a camping trip to the Florida springs next month for a pretty reasonable price -- you can find that info here: https://www.alphadivers.com/trip-details Not sure if we'll be able to make it, but they always have a nice group of people happy to dive with people of different experience levels.

Hope this helps, and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Rob

Hi Brian, I'm in Knoxville, and there are some other East TN divers on here. My son and I dive at Philadelphia Quarry and Gray Quarry fairly often when it gets warmer, and always happy to have a 3rd buddy. There's also a Knoxville Scuba group on Facebook here: Facebook Groups which can be a good place to find dive buddies too -- several of those folks dive year round.

Yes, unless you dive drysuit it may be May or June before the quarries in East TN get warm enough. One of the local dive shops that we like, Alpha Divers, is doing a camping trip to the Florida springs next month for a pretty reasonable price -- you can find that info here: https://www.alphadivers.com/trip-details Not sure if we'll be able to make it, but they always have a nice group of people happy to dive with people of different experience levels.

Hope this helps, and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Rob

Rob,
What is the vis / conditions like at Gray Quarry ?

TN is part of my sales territory and curious if this quarries vis is better than what we have here in nc

Welcome to ScubaBoard! My wife is from Murfreesboro, and we both went to Vanderbilt. We live in San Antonio, but miss Tennessee, where the grass is green and the creeks are full!

Rob,
TN is part of my sales territory and curious if this quarries vis is better than what we have here in nc
@Murphy in NC during the warm water months the viz is usually between about 15 and 40, depending on weather conditions and how many students are there stirring up the silt (hey, we've all been new at some point). During the winter months viz can be 55-60 or so.

It is. The zebra mussels and the bubbler keep the water clear and warm. As long as a group of bad divers don’t silt things up.

Rob,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom