Combat diver student drowns - Key West, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an Air Force Pararescue candidate back in the day and "drowned" (blacked out) three times in one day.....Although the instructors respected that I didn't quit, I was promptly washed out. LOL
Well, they call it “drownproofing”. Seems like you did OK.

I was an Air Force Pararescue candidate back in the day and "drowned" (blacked out) three times in one day.....Although the instructors respected that I didn't quit, I was promptly washed out. LOL
You're the kind of person everyone in the military wants by their side in combat.

Apparently shallow water blackout is common in courses like that. Seems like the reason for fatalities in those situations is that the trainee isn't adequately supervised (eyes on at all times) so they can be rescued and revived in time. I've read about more than a few SEAL trainees dying that way over the years.

A friend of mine (Gordon Racine) died in BUDS back in 1998. I tried to go to BUDS in 1986 but I did not pass the dive physical because my uncorrected vision was not good enough for the program. I worked with Gordon and helped him put his package together when we worked at North Island and he was accepted for training. About four weeks into the program he was in the pool and vomited and in the process, he aspirated a large amount of rice (his lunch) and pool water into his lungs. The incident happened in the afternoon and he died later that evening.

Had another buddy that finally made it through on his third attempt. Rang out the first time, fractured his pelvis on the second but he made it on the last one. I don’t doubt that they have adequate supervision its just that some candidates may push too far and put themselves in danger rather than admit that they are having difficulty. Props to those that try and those that make it, I have done some medical coverages for some of those training evolutions over in Coronado and it’s not an easy career choice.

A friend of mine (Gordon Racine) died in BUDS back in 1998. I tried to go to BUDS in 1986 but I did not pass the dive physical because my uncorrected vision was not good enough for the program. I worked with Gordon and helped him put his package together when we worked at North Island and he was accepted for training. About four weeks into the program he was in the pool and vomited and in the process, he aspirated a large amount of rice (his lunch) and pool water into his lungs. The incident happened in the afternoon and he died later that evening.

Had another buddy that finally made it through on his third attempt. Rang out the first time, fractured his pelvis on the second but he made it on the last one. I don’t doubt that they have adequate supervision its just that some candidates may push too far and put themselves in danger rather than admit that they are having difficulty. Props to those that try and those that make it, I have done some medical coverages for some of those training evolutions over in Coronado and it’s not an easy career choice.
I volunteered to do the pre test to see if I was good enough to try the real thing. I had a nuclear power program NEC and was refused right then. They needed nukes back then in a bad way. My eyes probably weren't good enough either. Oh well.

I volunteered to do the pre test to see if I was good enough to try the real thing. I had a nuclear power program NEC and was refused right then. They needed nukes back then in a bad way. My eyes probably weren't good enough either. Oh well.
Only way out of NPS (8204) was BUD/S.

Only way out of NPS (8204) was BUD/S.

NPS….as in Naval Postgraduate School?

Man, that’s a little late in the game to become a sugar cookie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom