Is it easy to find the reef at Lauderdale-By-The Sea and is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Lauderdale by the sea. The reef is very easy to get out to and has lots of fish, nurse sharks and turtles. There usually isn't much current either. I think its definitely worth the trip. The reef starts half way out the dock and continues well past the end. Its a very laid back place to dive

We can generally park on Daturo .. even if it's not in the few recessed spots next to the beach. There is metered street parking just up the street too. A short 1/2 block walk to the beach, good exercise when geared up :wink: If diving in pairs of course you can drop gear off at the rinse station/benches, you'll find showers, a hose and a few benches to setup and wash up afterwards.

Think it’s Datura Avenue but close enough for out-of-towners to get to the right location.

Parking is the hard part of dive logistics for LbtS shore dives. I can’t emphasize enough arriving early before your desired splash time. This avoids rushing around under pressure to find a parking spot and then having to “sprint” in your exposure suit back to the prep area.

Don’t know @Jaan Leemet above but definitely like his DryFob product. Just one more little thing that makes a big difference towards a relaxed frame of mind before splashing on a shore dive.

Returning to the topic of parking in the vicinity of Datura Avenue again…

I am totally loving my Transit 250 medium roof cargo van.

Park on the street or in the parking lot.

Rig kit in the shade of the van.

Change in the van.

Dive.

Rinse kit at the public showerhead.

De-rig kit in the van.

Shower at the public showerhead.

Change into dry clothes in the van.

Go about the rest of the day actually freshened up.

I can’t imagine doing this out of a sedan or SUV with the same success.

You sedan and SUV folks are tough!

Hahahaha. That sounds like a great setup!!

How far north/south does the reef reach? I'm staying near Flamingo Drive, which is just south of Palm Ave. Does the reef come far enough south that I can just walk out into the water and swim east, or will I have to walk up the beach a bit before getting in?

The reef goes from below Fort Lauderdale to above Palm Beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom