scubapro mk25 turret up or down...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like it up. But as it was established in one of the prior threads - I am in minority. I have had a dive guide tell me once that I dive “wrong” setup. Anyhow, if I put it down, the hoses lock the turret in a fixed position as they run around my body and I don’t get an advantage of turret. My non-turret MK17 - I dive down and had to put a swivel so the reg doesn’t pull on my jaw when I turn my head. With MK25 up I don’t have to have a swivel. I have tried it both ways. I have not noticed any difference with air delivery but for me the up is more comfortable. So I think you can do whichever.
I have heard someone hit the back of their head on the up configuration as they jumped in, but mine seats low enough or maybe my head doesn’t extend back enough to cause a problem for me.

I am not going to go digging right now for the ads of the day but both SP and Tekna and Oceanic showed ad copy with the first stage turrets up of the MkV and the clones. I always used it up on singles, down and slanted on doubles. I wear my tank relatively low by modern standards so there is no possibility the regulator will hit my head or anything else in use and I get the advantage of the swivel turret. If I am wrong, I do not care, I like the turret up. N

I only have mk10’s but had my dad’s steel 72s with post ( I ) valves. These would not allow the turret down, so I’ve always had mine “up”. Every time I used to take my regs in for service I’d have to take them apart and redo the hoses as they would come back down. Either way works.

I just remembered, sometime in the mid 1980s my wife got tired of Conshelfs for the first time (how dare she!) and wanted a new regulator. She got an Oceanic set with side exhaust second stages and a MkV clone first. I first set her to be turret up as I had always done and still do. She is a little bitty thing. Of course it hit her in the head, so we flipped it turret down. We had to do a similar thing with her first generation AL Legend and it is not even a turret. Right, wrong, what works best for you is right. N

I have dived my MK25 turret up for about 20 years. The dive operator who sold them to me and serviced them for most of that time set it up that way. He dives with his up. He feels it is more comfortable and allows more rotation. When I have told him about comments that it is not set up right he just laughs. I don't imagine it is that big of a deal and you should feel comfortable diving that way. I have no plans to change mine. (I have a similar set up with an Atomic reg I have).

So.....here’s my question. With the turret turned up, do you use the 5th port? And, if so, what for? To clarify, I’m not saying there is a correct way, as both ways has their practitioners and I believe in dive and let dive. I’m just curious.

Erik

So.....here’s my question. With the turret turned up, do you use the 5th port? And, if so, what for? To clarify, I’m not saying there is a correct way, as both ways has their practitioners and I believe in dive and let dive. I’m just curious.

Erik

Once upon a time I used MK5s turret up and didn't used the 5th port. I'm not even sure if it had a 5th port, it may be so long upon a time ago it only had 2 LP ports. Then I started wreck diving and was advised that it could be an entanglement hazard, it made sense to me so I began using it turret down and at some time the MK got a 5 port turret and I began using the 5th port it helped streamline the setup and allowed the LP hose to route under my arm. I've kept that configuration for most of my diving journey. I've added elbows and swivels to keep from having hoses sticking out.

There is no "wrong" it'll work sideways too! I've always connected the HP for the SPG on the left HP port. I'll bet it works on the right hand side too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom