Need help with Shearwater dive log for Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Cloud is fine for me. I can see clearly everything I need to know in the iPhone screen. The iPhone in fact is a lot more portable. I can carry it to lunch table, place it next to my lunch plate, tap / press the Bluetooth buttons on my Teric and iPhone and let the latest dive transfer from the Teric to iPhone while having lunch.

I did not see any GIANT "if you want this on system X it's an additional...." which is why I asked.

I don't really need it on my phone, but if I want to do that, I will download another for $25. But I guess it would have been cheaper to spend $40 for the "family" plan?

To me, it was not clear. Thanks

sorry if I wasn’t clear, not aimed at you. Just general musings. Our applications have that verbiage in about 15 places now. I think the only place he mentions it is on the website, MacDive Help - Licenses

Shearwater Cloud is fine for me. I can see clearly everything I need to know in the iPhone screen. The iPhone in fact is a lot more portable. I can carry it to lunch table, place it next to my lunch plate, tap / press the Bluetooth buttons on my Teric and iPhone and let the latest dive transfer from the Teric to iPhone while having lunch.
Dive Log is way better than SW Cloud in my opinion - much better features, interface and appearance of my iPhone and it interfaces seamlessly with Diving Log 6.0 on my PC. I only use SW Cloud for firmware updates as I find it clunky.

The developer of Dive Log (iOS) Greg McLaughlin, responds to emails or forum posts directly within hours and is always super helpful.

As an early owner of a Teric, I even helped him sort out the support by sending him Teric logs from a trip I was on. Great product and fantastic support with continual updates and additions!

Dive Log is way better than SW Cloud in my opinion - much better features, interface and appearance of my iPhone and it interfaces seamlessly with Diving Log 6.0 on my PC. I only use SW Cloud for firmware updates as I find it clunky.

The developer of Dive Log (iOS) Greg McLaughlin, responds to emails or forum posts directly within hours and is always super helpful.

As an early owner of a Teric, I even helped him sort out the support by sending him Teric logs from a trip I was on. Great product and fantastic support with continual updates and additions!

I cannot get Dive Log to work on my MacBook Air. It will not download all my dives from my Teric and I don't find it user friendly. I became frustrated. Now I've purchased MacDive as well as the Dive Log and the Shearwater Cloud and right now I feel like going back to handwritten logs. Which means I'm not going to keep track of all my dives again. Ugh.

I hope you know this discussion wasn't aimed at you. It was just an aside, since it comes up often from people.

The iPhone app is $10. I think it's well worth it. The Mac app can do more than the iPhone app, but I don't bring a computer when I travel. One of the coolest things about the iPhone app, I think, is the location tracking. Turn it on, throw your phone in a dry bag, and go diving. It will keep marking your location, so after you're done diving, you can turn off the tracking, sync your Teric, and each dive, based on the start time, will have the coordinates from the tracking so all you have to do is name the site and you're set. There it is on your map.

I really don't think you need the family plan if you're the only one using it.

When you say "throw your phone in a dry bag" you mean it stays on the boat I'm assuming? LOL. In that case I guess I don't need to have a dry bag at all. I'll be on the Juliet liveaboard in October.

I will look into getting the iPhone app. I really like the bigger screen of my MacBook Air, but as someone else here said, I'm not always wanting to bring my laptop on a vacation with me.

When you say "throw your phone in a dry bag" you mean it stays on the boat I'm assuming? LOL. In that case I guess I don't need to have a dry bag at all. I'll be on the Juliet liveaboard in October.

Yes, that should be fine.... you won't need a dry bag.

I will look into getting the iPhone app. I really like the bigger screen of my MacBook Air, but as someone else here said, I'm not always wanting to bring my laptop on a vacation with me.
Yeah, then your phone would always be with you. I think having it on both your mobile device and your laptop is great. Each has its strengths, but both stay in sync.

Yup MacDive iOS is on (phone in airplane mode) with the MacDive location tracking on. Upload dives to iPhone (that way it will automatically update dive site to GPS coordinates, just have to make sure to change dive computer clock time prior to diving) apply any quick notes I need, sync to iCloud, then either on iPad Pro or MacBook do a cloud sync for those new dives and edit there.

Yup MacDive iOS is on (phone in airplane mode) with the MacDive location tracking on. Upload dives to iPhone (that way it will automatically update dive site to GPS coordinates, just have to make sure to change dive computer clock time prior to diving) apply any quick notes I need, sync to iCloud, then either on iPad Pro or MacBook do a cloud sync for those new dives and edit there.
Haha. Guilty. I was just in Jamaica and forgot to change the time on my Perdix. It's one hour earlier there. One of the dives showed up at the dock. Fortunately I only did three dives, so I deleted the sites on the iPhone, fixed the timestamps for the dives, then re-added the sites and everything was in the ocean.

So Hazmat or Azstinger11, I may ask one of you to chat with me on the phone before I go on my trip? It's easier sometimes to talk "live" to someone and have that conversation.

I really appreciate all the helpful feedback and VERY appreciative that nobody got snarky with me for asking "stupid" questions. I am a nurse, work on a computer all day, and I am good entering information. Just not good at figuring out the downloading, transferring info, etc. Sigh.

I think I'll go download MacDive on my phone now.

So....am I correct that with my phone in airplane mode, MacDive still functions? Change the time to the current zone time, and that's it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom