Need help with Shearwater dive log for Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's unfortunate with the separate purchases, but it's more Apple's fault. There's no way to bundle stuff like this. Distributing via their app stores puts limitations on the developers, but it's the only way you can distribute iOS apps. Mac apps you can install via direct downloads.

azstinger11:
I wholeheartedly agree, but it is a downside when comparing competitive products.

I mean, why would you expect to get two products for the price of one? I'm not a developer, but I'm assuming that a phone app and a desktop app are two different things, and people should get paid for their work. I don't consider that "unfortunate". I consider that fair.

Why should it be bundled, anyway? Some people only use desktop logging. Others only use phone logging. And for those who want both, they are seamlessly integrated.

I'm pretty sure many of the people on this site have paid a few thousand dollars for a week of diving. Making an issue of the fact that someone charges for each of their different products separately ($25) doesn't seem right.

And @hazmat, I realize that you agree with me in principal. I just feel that Nick deserves to get paid well for the service he provides.

I mean, why would you expect to get two products for the price of one? I'm not a developer, but I'm assuming that a phone app and a desktop app are two different things, and people should get paid for their work. I don't consider that "unfortunate". I consider that fair.

Why should it be bundled, anyway? Some people only use desktop logging. Others only use phone logging. And for those who want both, they are seamlessly integrated.

I'm pretty sure many of the people on this site have paid a few thousand dollars for a week of diving. Making an issue of the fact that someone charges for each of their different products separately ($25) doesn't seem right.
"Should be free!" You're absolutely right, but there's a long history of people not realizing the amount of work that goes into developing software and expecting everything for free. I'm not saying that the bundle pricing wouldn't reflect the two together. If there were an easier way, I'm sure Nick would prefer to be able to offer the two together. The question comes up a lot.

And @hazmat, I realize that you agree with me in principal. I just feel that Nick deserves to get paid well for the service he provides.

I am a software dev, and I can absolutely say that split licensing is a negative and turns away customers. One of our products is a split license like MacDive and we get a ton of emails and refund requests. It’s not so much the total price but the 2nd payment that really seems to get people riled up. As you and @hazmat correctly point out it’s still trivial in the scheme of things, but it really gets some people going. It’s staggering the number of people that don’t read the Giant “if you want this on system X it’s an additional license available at …. For $.$$” on either system. But but I paid for it on Y why can’t I get it on X?!?

I still say it’s a negative for MacDive, but also say it so people are forewarned. If you expect the 2nd payment it’s not much of a deal. It’s people that somehow miss all the warnings, and statements, and get “surprised” that are the worst about it.

I am a software dev, and I can absolutely say that split licensing is a negative and turns away customers. One of our products is a split license like MacDive and we get a ton of emails and refund requests. It’s not so much the total price but the 2nd payment that really seems to get people riled up. As you and @hazmat correctly point out it’s still trivial in the scheme of things, but it really gets some people going. It’s staggering the number of people that don’t read the Giant “if you want this on system X it’s an additional license available at …. For $.$$” on either system. But but I paid for it on Y why can’t I get it on X?!?

I still say it’s a negative for MacDive, but also say it so people are forewarned. If you expect the 2nd payment it’s not much of a deal. It’s people that somehow miss all the warnings, and statements, and get “surprised” that are the worst about it.

OK, I defer to your experience.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of people out there who resent having to pay people for the work that they do, and social media gives these people a place to go on about it. I guess it's a negative for MacDive in the sense that it will be perceived negatively by these types of people. Just like there are a lot of people who resent paying anything at all, and thing that all software should be free, so charging for it is a negative.

But I guess you are saying that if there was one price for the two programs, people would be happy, even if it meant that some people were buying a product that they would never use.

The problem with running a business by trying to appease unreasonable people, is they will never be happy anyway.

I did not see any GIANT "if you want this on system X it's an additional...." which is why I asked.

I don't really need it on my phone, but if I want to do that, I will download another for $25. But I guess it would have been cheaper to spend $40 for the "family" plan?

To me, it was not clear. Thanks

I did not see any GIANT "if you want this on system X it's an additional...." which is why I asked.

I don't really need it on my phone, but if I want to do that, I will download another for $25. But I guess it would have been cheaper to spend $40 for the "family" plan?

I hope you know this discussion wasn't aimed at you. It was just an aside, since it comes up often from people.

The iPhone app is $10. I think it's well worth it. The Mac app can do more than the iPhone app, but I don't bring a computer when I travel. One of the coolest things about the iPhone app, I think, is the location tracking. Turn it on, throw your phone in a dry bag, and go diving. It will keep marking your location, so after you're done diving, you can turn off the tracking, sync your Teric, and each dive, based on the start time, will have the coordinates from the tracking so all you have to do is name the site and you're set. There it is on your map.

I really don't think you need the family plan if you're the only one using it.

It’s only $9.99 for the iOS version on the AppStore, so even cheaper than the family plan. :wink:

One of the things I like about the mobile versions is being able to tag the location. With Bluetooth computers, it’s simple to download immediately after the dive while still on site, and use the phone’s location features. A heck of a lot easier than pulling them from my chart plotter after the day.

Back
Top Bottom