Need help with Shearwater dive log for Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you said you have a Mac and an iPhone, I cannot recommend MacDive highly enough. Available for both macOS and iOS and syncs between the two. I've been using it for years. Only thing I use the Shearwater app on the iPhone for is firmware updates for my Perdix.

^ This.

Awesome developer, awesome software. No reason to use anything else in this situation.

Thanks. A friend who has been using Shearwater for years told me to download the "Dive Log" and then said I had to download "shearwater cloud." in order for "Dive Log" to properly work. WTF? I'm really confused now.

I think I'm going to download MacDive today. The situation above is too confusing.
Happy to help you with MacDive if you go that route. I realize this can all be confusing, because "dive log" is a standard term for where you log your dives, but there's also a product called "Dive Log." The key point is that there are various products to log your dives that will download from your Teric and sync between your Mac and iPhone. Only thing you NEED the Shearwater app for on your iPhone is to update the Teric's firmware. Historically, the dive computer manufacturers have offered software that will sync with their dive computers, but their software has never been nearly as good as the software from third party developers. Shearwater is particularly good at working with third party developers to allow them access to the computer data for logging.

Dive Log is actually the name of another dive log software. Shearwater Cloud is the Shearwater one. Prefer MacDive myself.
I second MacDive. It syncs via your iCloud account across all your devices. I had a really weird issue once with the software due to a bad pressure sensor in my first Teric, and I emailed the developer about it. He got back to me within a few hours and issued an update shortly after that. Shearwater makes great dive computers, and their customer service is second to none. But the software is horrible.

Happy to help you with MacDive if you go that route. I realize this can all be confusing, because "dive log" is a standard term for where you log your dives, but there's also a product called "Dive Log." The key point is that there are various products to log your dives that will download from your Teric and sync between your Mac and iPhone. Only thing you NEED the Shearwater app for on your iPhone is to update the Teric's firmware. Historically, the dive computer manufacturers have offered software that will sync with their dive computers, but their software has never been nearly as good as the software from third party developers. Shearwater is particularly good at working with third party developers to allow them access to the computer data for logging.

Hazmat, would you possibly be okay talking on the phone with me if I have issues with MacDive? I'm going to download it today and see how I do. I only need to download the one "single use" correct? This would cover both my iPhone AND my MacBook Air?

I have downloaded the updated Big Sur on my MacBook Air now.

Hazmat, would you possibly be okay talking on the phone with me if I have issues with MacDive? I'm going to download it today and see how I do. I only need to download the one "single use" correct? This would cover both my iPhone AND my MacBook Air?

I have downloaded the updated Big Sur on my MacBook Air now.

That is the one downside to MacDive. If you want it on iOS and MacOS it’s two purchases. One via the AppStore for the iOS version and one from his website for the MacOS version.

Outside of the GPS location trail, you do everything on the MacOS version that you can on the iOS version.

That is the one downside to MacDive. If you want it on iOS and MacOS it’s two purchases. One via the AppStore for the iOS version and one from his website for the MacOS version.

It's SO worth it, and it's so important to support Nick. I mean, seriously, that guy has replied to my email from the other side of the world and sent me a patch in a few minutes. In a sport where we can spend $1400 on a flashlight, an extra $25 is definitely worth it.

It's SO worth it, and it's so important to support Nick. I mean, seriously, that guy has replied to my email from the other side of the world and sent me a patch in a few minutes. In a sport where we can spend $1400 on a flashlight, an extra $25 is definitely worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree, but it is a downside when comparing competitive products.

I wholeheartedly agree, but it is a downside when comparing competitive products.
It's unfortunate with the separate purchases, but it's more Apple's fault. There's no way to bundle stuff like this. Distributing via their app stores puts limitations on the developers, but it's the only way you can distribute iOS apps. Mac apps you can install via direct downloads.

Exactly. $35 total for an amazing logging system is nothing compared to what we pay for the dive computer.

@Janie88 You only need the single license. If you really get in a bind, we can figure something out, but I'd urge you to try it out. The help docs at MacDive are also very good. And Nick, the developer, is very quick to respond to questions. Just keep in mind that he's in NZ.

I successfully downloaded MacDive on my MacBook Air. Do you know how I download it onto my iPhone? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom