Belize in November or December- bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverswifey

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Is going during the rainy season too risky for good diving? Have been to Belize only once- several years ago during February and husband did not dive on that trip- thinking of Thanksgiving or Christmas - had planned for elsewhere but airfare is too high.
I assume that the Bay Islands of Honduras would also be a crapshoot for a rainy or decent time? Husband dove in Utila several years ago- have not been to Roatan yet.
Thanks for any advice-

No real bad time to go to Belize. Water is still warm. Some wind more likely in December. I recommend one of the 2 liveaboards. They can go where the weather is better and move when it changes for the worse.

We've gone to Roatan and Belize a number of times in December, the majority of the trips the weather has been good. We have had a few times however were a front dipped down from the north and messed things up for a few days. In Roatan we had a front move in at the end of the week and it rained so hard it filled a dive mask case sitting on the night stand inside our open air cabana. One year in Belize it took 3 days out of the middle of the week where we couldn't hardly even venture outside. A few years ago at TIR a strong front came in and on the Blue Hole day they had hot chocolate on the boat for a post dive warm up. It can happen, but these were the exceptions. I think that can happen whatever month you travel. At the time, December trips worked well with a work schedule but I still think it is a great time for dive travel. We'll continue to go in December as often as we can as it's at the end of the low season and before things get busier. Flight prices are usually better and many places run low season rates up until the week of Christmas. I'm looking for a trip in December right now actually.

I've spent a great number of Novembers and Decembers on both Roatan and Ambergris Caye. I've been equally fortunate and unfortunate. It truly is a crap shoot weather wise. Bring a boat coat or some mind of windbreaker to wear over your wetsuit after diving.
Water temp is usually around 81 but can get down to 77-78, which gets cold for me in a 3mm, so I put on a Bare Chillguard under my 3mm and start wearing a beanie. That usually does the trick but if you've got a 5mm, and you feel a chill after many dive days, you might be happier with that. Hard call because everyone is different.
Prices around US Thanksgiving are not low season prices, they're high season prices and Ambergris Caye is a very popular locale for Americans on that holiday time. Afterwards and until Christmas, the place can seem darn near empty. I love it then!

Back
Top Bottom