New member #Chris Ilias NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Everyone,

my name is Chris Ilias. I born and raised in Greece and in the last 4 years, I am living in New York.
I was a freediver (spearfishing) for 3 years since 2015.
In 2018 I became a certified Commercial diver from Divers Academy International in New Jersey but the job opportunities I got required to live away from my family.
I also got my PADI open water certification.
In August 2019 I got my training for Pool Inspection and Leak Detection and since then I inspect and repair swimming pools in NY, NJ,CT area.

You probably will hate me that I am using snuba gear (Hookamax 110 Volt electric operated hookah diving system), but for the swimming pools is a great tool.

I am interested in diving on lakes using a metal detector but, to be honest, I do not know where I am allowed to dive here, and what are the requirements. Everywhere I tried to free-dive in the summertime they didn't let me.

Is anyone here from New York or even better close to the orange county that knows where we are allowed to dive or is interested to dive as well in the wintertime?

One more question, are you allowed to spearfish in New York? Obviously I can google it but if you know any site that I can read more about that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Have safe dives!

Chris Ilias

Most if not all diving in New York requires a boat. Spearfish allowed , can try shore dive at beach 8th st rockaway

Most if not all diving in New York requires a boat. Spearfish allowed , can try shore dive at beach 8th st rockaway

Great I really appreciate it. Can we dive into a lake? Any lake towards upstate NY?

Welcome to the forum. You can also check the regional geographic section here for dive sites near you.

Most locations in Upstate NY do not allow metal detecting or the removal of objects. Any jewelry must be brought to the police for a period of time, then you can claim it.

I live on Cayuga Lake and might get some gear for exploring. Of course, I'll need to update my certifications.

Ed-

Everywhere I tried to free-dive in the summertime they didn't let me.

Chris Ilias[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.......
Welcome to SB and NY.
Even in NY it's hard to figure why free diving is prohibited (though NY and surrounding states prohibit a whole lot of things). I mean, free diving is just snorkeling and going deep of to the bottom. Where was this prohibited?

Hey Everyone,

my name is Chris Ilias. I born and raised in Greece and in the last 4 years, I am living in New York.
I was a freediver (spearfishing) for 3 years since 2015.
In 2018 I became a certified Commercial diver from Divers Academy International in New Jersey but the job opportunities I got required to live away from my family.
I also got my PADI open water certification.
In August 2019 I got my training for Pool Inspection and Leak Detection and since then I inspect and repair swimming pools in NY, NJ,CT area.

You probably will hate me that I am using snuba gear (Hookamax 110 Volt electric operated hookah diving system), but for the swimming pools is a great tool.

I am interested in diving on lakes using a metal detector but, to be honest, I do not know where I am allowed to dive here, and what are the requirements. Everywhere I tried to free-dive in the summertime they didn't let me.

Is anyone here from New York or even better close to the orange county that knows where we are allowed to dive or is interested to dive as well in the wintertime?

One more question, are you allowed to spearfish in New York? Obviously I can google it but if you know any site that I can read more about that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Have safe dives!

Chris Ilias
I am beginning a business like yours, but in Arkansas. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Where did you get your training and would you recommend them? Also what equipment for leak detection would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom