First of the month! TEST YOUR CARBON MONOXIDE AND SMOKE ALARMS.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I only hope that every household here has a few of each. It's a good idea to test them monthly. So many tragic news stories include non-functioning alarms in the homes where people died.

Push those buttons.

I also like to actually further test my smoke alarms in the fall with real smoke tests. I take them to the driveway with a metal coffee can and rags to burn, fire extinguisher, garden hose, etc. and see how they really react to smoke. I have tested my CO alarms in the garage by remote starting the car with the door still closed, but that's risky,

Monthly button tests are the easiest and safest.

I also run a quart of vinegar thru my coffee maker to remove calcium deposits, every first of the month.

I forgot to remind last month, sorry. So do it now. :D

I forgot to remind last month, sorry. So do it now. :D

Sometimes I do it without a reminder.:)

Keep up the good work.

Sometimes I do it without a reminder.
That's great. The first person I have to remind is myself. I have been known to go a year without testing, which is not safe. My fire alarm saved me once, and my old home bud was saved by CO alarms twice - from a fireplace and from a shop heater.

So many news stories about people dying in house fires include the mention of non-functioning alarms. In one study Survey Shows Many Homeowners Unclear on Carbon Monoxide Safety
  • Forty-one percent say they never replace their carbon monoxide detector, or they aren’t sure how often it is replaced.
  • Over one-third of homeowners (34 percent) don’t have or aren’t sure if they have a carbon monoxide detector in their homes
  • About one-fifth (22.1 percent) never test or don’t know how to test the detectors to be sure they are working.
That's from 2015. Not a popular subject perhaps as they seem like no brainers to me.

upload_2021-7-1_8-26-45.png

DandyDon, you may want to consider upgrading the smoke alarms in your home. I really like the nest protect units that I have. They're expensive, but that is offset slightly when buying kits of 3 or 5 units. Not only do they contact your phone if they detect a problem while you're not home but they automatically perform the test monthly. You can even have it test while you're not even there as it has a built in microphone with which it can "listen" for the audible alarm its-self.

I use the wired smoke alarms that include a lithium cell for backup when commercial power is lost. I just had to replace my nest protect units in 2020 as they expire after 10 years.

Nest Protect’s automatic Sound Check test - Google Nest Help

DandyDon, you may want to consider upgrading the smoke alarms in your home. I really like the nest protect units that I have. They're expensive, but that is offset slightly when buying kits of 3 or 5 units. Not only do they contact your phone if they detect a problem while you're not home but they automatically perform the test monthly. You can even have it test while you're not even there as it has a built in microphone with which it can "listen" for the audible alarm its-self.

I use the wired smoke alarms that include a lithium cell for backup when commercial power is lost. I just had to replace my nest protect units in 2020 as they expire after 10 years.

Nest Protect’s automatic Sound Check test - Google Nest Help
I think the downfall of those is that if they stop working, nothing happens. I like making myself and friends check theirs as a personal action. So many sad news stories include nonworking alarms.

A cousin who happens to be a fireman told me today that one of his alarms went off sometime last night because of a dead battery. He had seen my reminders on FB, but you know...

First of the month.

Same drill. :pirate2:

TEST THOSE ALARMS...!!
:wavesmiley:

And if you don't have several Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms, at least one for every bedroom plus other places in the house, they're cheaper than ever. My daughter lives in an all-electric home - with a fireplace and a connected garage, so I nag her about theirs.

:openquoteblack: Day 1 testing day, again. :closedquoteblack:

:openquote: Test your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms! :closedquote:

Push those buttons...!!
:home:

Replace weak batteries. I hate news stories about tragedies that include mention of nonfunctioning alarms.

I like to run vinegar thru my coffee maker on the first as well.
:caffine1: :caffine:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom