My wife is looking for a back inflate BC for traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bman940

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Every shop we go to only pushed what they have in stock and when asked what we are looking at they give us neg. ingo on that product. My wife is 5'9" and 145 pounds, any solid recommendations will be appreciated. Our goal is to roll her new BC inside my ScubaPro BC and free up a bag. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

I'd suggest you look into a travel wing and composite backplate. I have one made by Halcyon that works well for me. It's called the Traveler. I know budget might an issue and there are certainly other travel BCD's out there. I've had great experiences with Halcyon over two decades.
I'd also check on line on on the SB for sale board. Don't skip the deco stops.
500db251-b037-5402-86b2-c347fc6c75ca.jpg

Every shop we go to only pushed what they have in stock and when asked what we are looking at they give us neg. ingo on that product. My wife is 5'9" and 145 pounds, any solid recommendations will be appreciated. Our goal is to roll her new BC inside my ScubaPro BC and free up a bag. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Cressi makes a back inflate travel bc that is pretty decent. Edge-hog has the total buoyancy control system with a soft backplate that works - I have one and I really like it. I think OMS makes a soft plate as well. The nice thing about a BP/W is modulatory. Swap the soft plate for an aluminum or steel plate and you've got 1 bc that works for home and travel...

I'll be at blue hole teaching on August 28-29 and I'd be happy to bring one along to show you.

the hydros pro is great for rolling. i could get mine into a 7" diameter roll using compression straps . although i imagine anything with a minimal backplate would work.

the hydros pro is great for rolling. i could get mine into a 7" diameter roll using compression straps . although i imagine anything with a minimal backplate would work.

The Hydros does indeed pack well given its size. However, it is a pretty heavy BCD for traveling. It weighs in at around 11 lbs with the integrated weight belt on. It's lighter if you use the "tec-travel" waistband and decide to use a weight belt or just the trim pockets at your dive destination. I've traveled with mine, but recently decided to go with an Aqualung Outlaw for traveling. It only weighs 4 lbs. Not a lot of bells and whistles though, which may be an issue for those who want pockets, etc.

The xDeep Ghost is as light as you can get a backplate. Side mount BCDs are often even lighter given they have no backplate.

I second the Zena recommendation -- back-inflation; modular, like the other Zeagle BCs; and actually tailored for a woman's . . . attributes.

My girlfriend absolutely loves hers; has never been more comfortable in the water; and no one would ever mistake her for a boy . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom