New Shearwater AI transmitter - the Swift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater compasses: it's great that a compass exists and is there should you need it.

This is where the Nerd absolutely comes into its own, especially if you've "fallen off the wreck" and are doing a long circuit to find it again. It's particularly great when scootering around a barren bottom to find the wreck or look for other artefacts.

As for AI. It's great on the rebreather where gas pressures are very much of secondary, even tertiary, importance. Using the transmitters on a rebreather really cleans up your front getting rid of two long hoses and SPGs.

When diving OC, backmount or sidemount, it's just as easy to use a normal SPG. Certainly the Shearwater user interface display of pressures is awkward: either use the 'twin' display in the centre row, or loose the entire bottom row to display pressure (this includes the TTS and ceiling which are far more important than pressures).

Anyway, each to ones own. I still drive a manual transmission car and hate automatics. I absolutely despise all the other "safety features" which adds complexity to something you should be naturally doing (ding ding ding as you move into the next lane without indicating; ding ding ding "you look tired"; ding ding ding you're too close to the car in front as you get ready for the overtaking manoeuvrer...). Tech doesn't always add benefits; it frequently detracts and distracts, worse still it can fail when you're really relying on it.

No problem with any of that.

I like the fact a digital compass is on board (the SW display is cleaner and easier to read than the one on the Eon), and occasionally especially on a scooter I'll set a mark, to guide me on my return. But generally for Nav, Analogue all teh way for me. I've always got and SK8 on my kit. Personal preference.

Although it was a strange choice not to include a compass on the Peregrine given that pretty much every other computer in its price bracket has one

Likewise with AI. Huge fan, especially in current on a scooter quick glance to the wrist .This is why I'm a huge fan of the Eon graphical display, you see the gauge position rather than looking at numbers - although the numeric values are there - just like and SPG or the fuel gauge on a car

For SM I don't use AI, simply because the Eon doesn't display 2 gasses simultaneously (grrr) and I didn't feel the need to invest in 2 more transmitters dedicated to the Perdix. My SPG's are there its no hassle and I'm tight!

My needs for AI have moderated for sure. It's moved from a must have, to a nice to have. If I'm teaching I always use my SPG in an exaggerated fashion so as to set an example (although the AI is on my wrist) That said it would be unlikely for me to ever buy a none AI computer (which has kept from buying an OSTC 4. I may not use the function but I know its there.

Since I have a Perdix I've no axe to grind with Shearwater - apart from their bluetooth implementation / desktop software, which is truly hateful.

I just can't see why they'd bring out a Peregrine AI while their model range is as it is. I would think both the Teric and Perdix would see an upgrade first to maintain the model range and price differential first

Hi @Diving Dubai

You and I often see eye to eye, not in this case. I don't need the trimix and closed circuit capabilities of my Teric. I don't need the $655 premium vs. the Peregrine. Assume the Peregrine AI costs $590, I could nearly buy two for the price of a Teric. My son dives an older Oceanic VT4, he could have a Peregrine AI too :)

For SM I don't use AI, simply because the Eon doesn't display 2 gasses simultaneously (grrr) and I didn't feel the need to invest in 2 more transmitters dedicated to the Perdix. My SPG's are there its no hassle and I'm tight!
I do not have AI right now, but sidemount with dpv makes me wanting it. Without dpv I have no need for AI at all. With scooter it would be beneficial because there's less distracting and reading the right spg is a lot tougher while on the trigger.

AJ:
I do not have AI right now, but sidemount with dpv makes me wanting it. Without dpv I have no need for AI at all. With scooter it would be beneficial because there's less distracting and reading the right spg is a lot tougher while on the trigger.
This is where a Nerd rocks! Compass, PPO2, gas pressures, easy to read display... yay!

I just can't see why they'd bring out a Peregrine AI while their model range is as it is. I would think both the Teric and Perdix would see an upgrade first to maintain the model range and price differential first

Because, if you assume the same price premium as Perdix vs Perdix AI, you're talking about $495 for a Peregrine or $995 for a Perdix AI.

$500 seems like a lot extra to ask a recreational diver to pay who just wants the Peregrine with AI. Especially when it seems like AI is a feature with more appeal on the recreational side of the house.

It seems to me that if there is a concern of product overlap, they would discontinue the Perdix (non-AI version). For people who want/need what the Perdix offers, how big a deal is an extra $95 for the AI version? Not selling a Perdix non-AI seems like it would cost them a lot fewer purchases than what it is costing them by not having a Peregrine AI.

I can understand having a non-AI offering, in order to have a choice that is the least expensive possible to get people into the brand. But, beyond that, why offer anything that is NOT AI? They don't have a non-AI Teric. Why have a non-AI Perdix?

Alternatively, what is wrong with:

$495 Peregrine
$590 Peregrine AI
$867 Petrel 2 Standalone
$900 Perdix
$995 Perdix AI
$1150 Teric

Having the Peregrine AI in there doesn't seem like it creates an issue with too many choices at around the same price point. If they can still offer the Petrel 2 and the Perdix at those prices, the Peregrine AI REALLY doesn't seem like an issue.

Because, if you assume the same price premium as Perdix vs Perdix AI, you're talking about $495 for a Peregrine or $995 for a Perdix AI.

$500 seems like a lot extra to ask a recreational diver to pay who just wants the Peregrine with AI. Especially when it seems like AI is a feature with more appeal on the recreational side of the house.

It seems to me that if there is a concern of product overlap, they would discontinue the Perdix (non-AI version). For people who want/need what the Perdix offers, how big a deal is an extra $95 for the AI version? Not selling a Perdix non-AI seems like it would cost them a lot fewer purchases than what it is costing them by not having a Peregrine AI.

I can understand having a non-AI offering, in order to have a choice that is the least expensive possible to get people into the brand. But, beyond that, why offer anything that is NOT AI? They don't have a non-AI Teric. Why have a non-AI Perdix?

Alternatively, what is wrong with:

$495 Peregrine
$590 Peregrine AI
$867 Petrel 2 Standalone
$900 Perdix
$995 Perdix AI
$1150 Teric

Having the Peregrine AI in there doesn't seem like it creates an issue with too many choices at around the same price point. If they can still offer the Petrel 2 and the Perdix at those prices, the Peregrine AI REALLY doesn't seem like an issue.
I’d bet the appearance of a Peregrine AI is just a matter of when - not if!

This is where a Nerd rocks! Compass, PPO2, gas pressures, easy to read display... yay!
Yeah, I want the NERD attached to a CCR. Ideal combo :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom