Cleaning the DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me.. Halcyons are not cheap. Plus I don't want to really need it and its gone south from lack of care. Plus Im a clean freak :)

To me.. Halcyons are not cheap. Plus I don't want to really need it and its gone south from lack of care. Plus Im a clean freak :)
I regard smb as an important safety equipment.
Never ever neglect any of my scuba equipment because it is cheap. Actually I do expect all my purchase last for a very long time.

What I do after rinsing is leaving it partially inflated, so water can collect around dump valve. Once ends are dry, I remove the valve, drain it and keep it open until it's dry. Put the valve back on, roll it up and store. Still looks like new after 5 years.

For full disclosure, if I don’t deploy my DSMB I do leave it rolled up in it’s pouch, simply stick the hose in the pocket and shoot water down through the rolled layers.

If you can be bothered, simply inflate them (blow into the spigot) and empty out the water out of the dump. You can leave them inflated for a while in the garage/wherever and that seems to dry them out a bit.

Odd that you've mould in them. Are you predominantly diving fresh water?

Maybe unscrew the dump and pour in some disinfectant and roll it around the inside; then leave it inflated for a few days to make sure the environment inside kills off any spores. Unless you can get to the mould (with a toothbrush through the open dump) it's likely to remain a feature.

Lets be honest; it makes no difference to the DSMB's functionality.

I use mine quite regularly. Mine are also important for redundant buoyancy in case of an issue with my wing. I always carry two, one in each thigh pocket.

I rinse them after each use with my other gear in freshwater & mirazyme (now called Revivex Odor Eliminator). If an SMB was used I also rinse the inside. I just lay them out to dry. I don’t bother inflating them for drying. I’ve had no issues but may start inflating them to dry. I can see a benefit to doing that.

I’ve never gotten mold in mine.

If you can be bothered, simply inflate them (blow into the spigot) and empty out the water out of the dump. You can leave them inflated for a while in the garage/wherever and that seems to dry them out a bit.

Odd that you've mould in them. Are you predominantly diving fresh water?

Maybe unscrew the dump and pour in some disinfectant and roll it around the inside; then leave it inflated for a few days to make sure the environment inside kills off any spores. Unless you can get to the mould (with a toothbrush through the open dump) it's likely to remain a feature.

Lets be honest; it makes no difference to the DSMB's functionality.

Salt mostly

I think it might be a little bit of plant "seaweed" and the like or it could be mold. Either way Its seems to hold air perfectly and I have had no issues with them.

Like to see how people clean there gear and gain useful tidbits from it. Still wonder about the pine sol clean for wetsuits...

Dive a lot of fresh water with mine, a sealed DSMB. If it does get lake water in it I'll pull the dump valve off, fill some with hose water, replace the valve, inflate, shake, dump and repeat. Being in the desert with single digit humidity I hang it upside-down with the dump valve removed and a piece of cardboard through the dump valve hole to keep two sides separated some and allow any moisture to evaporate out.

I remove the dump valve (on my model it can be unscrewed) then hang it so that it is the lowest point of the DSMB for a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom