New Shearwater AI transmitter - the Swift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, SW may now be an aspirational brand, but I think the Peregrine is a legitimate recreational computer that stands on its own merit. It does not need brand status to make it a consideration for any rec diver. I do expect it to have somewhat limited appeal, though, until they release a version with AI. AI seems to me to be much more popular in rec circles than tech. I still do not understand the thinking in releasing a computer that only has significant appeal to rec-only divers and does not support AI. I mean, it does support non-trimix technical diving, but I don't know any tech diver who would be likely to buy a Peregrine, instead of buying a Perdix.
Ditto. Budget-minded rec divers are likely to be choosing a cheaper computer. Rec divers with a bigger budget are going to want AI since only the least expensive lack that feature these days. I'm sure there will be a Perigrine AI out soon, perhaps paired with the shearwater transmitter. Shearwater's good about fixing things and adding features so I'd wager this was on their roadmap since they conceived of peregrine. A smart manufacturer will fill as many market segments as they can.

The inclusion of trimix is IMO like the scubapro 9-transmitter feature. Something that looks good on the sales slick but won't actually get used. It didn't cost them anything to include the feature so why not?

That used to be the case. Now its an aspirational brand. The majority of Teric divers I see have never been below 30m nor encountered planned deco. when SW added AI (and remember before that the SW fanclub was heavily against AI as a technology) it opened them up to the Rec market with the Perdix AI

I believe you are wrong, just my opinion. I have been diving AI since 2002. My Teric is the best computer I have had, I'm waiting for the Peregrine AI

I believe you are wrong, just my opinion. I have been diving AI since 2002. My Teric is the best computer I have had, I'm waiting for the Peregrine AI
What would a Peregrine AI do that a Perdix AI doesn't? Unless I'm wrong I thought the Peregrine was effectively an entry level to the range.

Lets not forget I dive a Perdix AI and think its a sold dependable computer. It's just not the be all and end all that its made out to be in some quarters

I think the Peregrine is a legitimate recreational computer that stands on its own merit. It does not need brand status to make it a consideration for any rec diver

I've sold quite a few Peregrine's to my friends who are all highly experience divers, and generally wanted to finally move from their UWETC, Galileo's or old OSTC's (OSTC has no distributor nor support in this region even though they're fine computers) and who had no use for AI and have decided that they're too old for the big trimix dives they used to do (they're a lot wiser as to their old antics too)

I've also got no issues with SW positioning itself as an aspirational brand certainly the smaller form factor of the Perdix (then the Teric) made it more widely appealing than the brick like Predator. The Addition of AI sealed the deal to the masses. Good for Shearwater.

I also have no problems selling someone a SW computer if that's what they desire, the sales margins are better, but for the most part they want one because it's a SW not because it has any functionality they need. I also don't buy into the argument buy now because they "might" get into Tec later. 80% won't and if they do the price of a new computer will be lost in the noise of all the other costs they'll endure.

When I'm selling gear I try to get the best fit for the customer rather than getting the most money out of their wallet or purse.

I'm NOT a SW hater, I respect them, its just the unquestioning adulation from some quarters that makes me giggle

Why it is true that it is highly unlikely I will be in the Middle East anytime soon, short of Iran becoming moderate, I do all sorts of diving.
Never going to happen

Most of my diving is "off the beaten track" deliberately jumping into questionable currents @RayfromTX experienced some "baby currents" here when they visited - he didn't like them too much

As an engineer at heart I really value simplicity, reliability and functionality. After using some of the other dive computers which were complex, unreliable and limited, my first Perdix was an absolute revelation, especially how easy it is to use.

That same excellent interface is in my Petrel and Nerd computers even though they have extended functionality, they’re still simple, reliable and functional.

The last thing I want to do underwater is to think. Nor do I want to worry about using it or question its functionality. Personally I couldn’t give a toss about lying weasel marketeers.

That’s why I’m more than happy to recommend Shearwater dive computers.

Never going to happen

Most of my diving is "off the beaten track" deliberately jumping into questionable currents @RayfromTX experienced some "baby currents" here when they visited - he didn't like them too much
Let's just say I respected them. When you see things flying by just around the corner and have just heard about the guy they found a mile away, it's best to not rush out into traffic.

After using some of the other dive computers which were complex, unreliable and limited, my first Perdix was an absolute revelation, especially how easy it is to use

I'm the same. And yes they're very easy to use, although the 2 button system irritates me as a personal preference, but you can find your way around most settings without needing the manual (the requirement to dig deep into Adv setting to adjust the artificial MOD limit of 40m of Nitrox was a pet peeve. Even Suunto or my old Cressi Leonardo doesn't do that nonsense)

Having had numerous divers hand me their computer for me to change the Nitrox mix I do wonder what goes through the heads of the programmers of some entry level computers - especially with single button operation. If I need to open a manual to change something as basic as the nitrox mix, then something is excusably wrong

I'm the same. And yes they're very easy to use, although the 2 button system irritates me as a personal preference, but you can find your way around most settings without needing the manual (the requirement to dig deep into Adv setting to adjust the artificial MOD limit of 40m of Nitrox was a pet peeve. Even Suunto or my old Cressi Leonardo doesn't do that nonsense)

Having had numerous divers hand me their computer for me to change the Nitrox mix I do wonder what goes through the heads of the programmers of some entry level computers - especially with single button operation. If I need to open a manual to change something as basic as the nitrox mix, then something is excusably wrong
I'll raise you the four-button with short+long presses of the dreadful Suunto interface. Confusing, difficult and nigh-on impossible to remember the "spell" to caste to change gasses.

What I really like about the two button interface is it's consistent simplicity. Don't get confused with it underwater and narked. Sure, without a dedicated "back" button, it can require a few more button presses. But it is very consistent.

Only ever needed to refer to a Shearwater manual for an explanation of GF99. Still don't understand it! I'll forgive them for that as the rest of it's great.

(Have never used it in "recreational" mode; in "technical" mode there's no nitrox limits)

I'll raise you the four-button with short+long presses of the dreadful Suunto interface
Thankfully (on teh Eon and D5) sense prevailed and they went to a 3 button which is perfect. I do seriously wonder though who in product dev thinks some of these ideas are sensible.

(Have never used it in "recreational" mode; in "technical" mode there's no nitrox limits)

Once SW allowed custom GF in Rec, I went back to that screen, I find it less cluttered I don't need a He gas display.

It didn't even cross my mind that SW would have put an artificial limiting MOD of 40m on their gasses until I was constantly getting High PO2, which is when I noticed that 25% had a MoD limit of 40M on the Perdix. Having to dig into the manual for that did make me grumpy. I mean why.

I also get a tad frustrated that the lower screen which has info you can scroll though times out. A minor thing I know. But one of the reasons I like the Eon is it's customisation - I have 3 screens NDL/Deco, Gas Contents and Timer which displays the main info I want at different parts of the dive (obv prime info is always shown as default) and the minor info can be different on each screen so I have what I feel is important to me at any part of the dive.

The GUI, usability and customisation on the Eon is second to none despite its other weaknesses

Never going to happen

There is always hope, but you are right unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

Thankfully (on teh Eon and D5) sense prevailed and they went to a 3 button which is perfect. I do seriously wonder though who in product dev thinks some of these ideas are sensible.

In many cases they aren't divers, and often no one in the team is divers. So what seems sensible to them, doesn't make sense to the average diver which might pull the computer out once a month.

Back
Top Bottom