Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than it is a DIN reg, it seems like a good enough deal to me. It's cheaper than the HOG/Edge regs I purchased 7 years ago. I get my regs serviced at Dive Right In Scuba so local doesn't matter to me. I've bought close to a dozen regs, all used or online purchases, and never had a problem.

I wouldn't be afraid of it, other than I've been burned on EBay before and they are not much help when a deal goes bad.

Good luck,
Jay

I looked through 6 gear Q&A and found that they'll do inspections for free (besides shipping) and include parts in the service fees ($40 for 1st stage and $30 for second stage) along with a 10 year warranty. They also send a service manual and free parts kit with the new regulator in case you need to get it fixed at a local shop. Sounds like a good deal. It is a big price difference though. I hate to sound like that, because I don't want *cheap* life support gear (and $500 for a full set with gauges is very good), but tuition makes it that way for a while :/. IF the supreme core does work out of the box that's a hell of a deal. (He even sent a counter offer to a previous offer so I'd be spending $165 on the 3 stage set). I could easily get my gauges and a dive computer for >$500

Other than it is a DIN reg, it seems like a good enough deal to me. It's cheaper than the HOG/Edge regs I purchased 7 years ago. I get my regs serviced at Dive Right In Scuba so local doesn't matter to me. I've bought close to a dozen regs, all used or online purchases, and never had a problem.

I wouldn't be afraid of it, other than I've been burned on EBay before and they are not much help when a deal goes bad.

Good luck,
Jay

I was looking at a dive right din to yoke adaptor for $50 online. I imagine that'd be fine until I can replace the valve on my tank with a din valve (would probably wait a year until next annual and ask them to do it).

It's funny you say that, because I've done selling on eBay and I'm in some flipping groups. All of the sellers seem to think the opposite; that eBay takes the buyers side way to often. All about perspective I suppose

IF the supreme core does work out of the box ...

I was looking at a dive right din to yoke adaptor for $50 online. I imagine that'd be fine until I can replace the valve on my tank with a din valve (would probably wait a year until next annual and ask them to do it).

It would be prudent to have a regulator purchased online checked out before use, even if it is working out of box. An quick overall inspection with check of first stage pressure and tuning of second stages would do alot for confidence in the regulator.

Fine to purchase din adapter and eventually din tank valve if you have reason to want din over yoke, but I would not buy just because the din regulator is deal. .

Fine to purchase din adapter and eventually din tank valve if you have reason to want din over yoke, but I would not buy just because the din regulator is deal. .
Is there an inherent safety risk in using an adaptor? As of right now I am only certified for open water 60'. I figured the additional potential failure of the extra O-ring, in these conditions, wouldn't pose much of a threat.

Is there an inherent safety risk in using an adaptor? As of right now I am only certified for open water 60'. I figured the additional potential failure of the extra O-ring, in these conditions, wouldn't pose much of a threat.
My comment was not based on safety risk, which would not be a factor in my mind.
One of my first regulator purchases was din, but I ended up always using the adapter with yoke tanks. The adapter was annoying, placing the first stage closer to my head. I ended up switching the first stage to yoke style since yoke tanks were all that I saw locally and during travel.

With the cost of buying and shipping the set, getting it serviced online, and buying a mid-range din to yoke adaptor I'm looking at about $320. I found this 3 stage set Hog Classic D1X Regulator with Free Octopus (divers-supply.com) for $341. I have no experience with Hog, but I've heard they've got decent gear. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but I believe it has an environmentally sealed first stage. I need to do more research, but if it is good for cold water (>50F) and a lightweight system for travel to Florida than this may be a solid option. Diver supply is an authorized dealer and I can mail in for service.

Not Aqualung's rules. However, it might be that particular shop's rules. Some shops get real upset when you buy something elsewhere. Even more so if you bought it from another diver and use an online store or another shop that has an online store.

They did you a favor, in letting you know that they probably won't be around for the long haul. Stores that turn away business because they don't like where you bought something have a history of going out of business. Just search scubaboard, it's a story that's been told time and again.

They had the opportunity to resell a parts kit (that Aqualung sold them for a profit) for a profit. They also had the opportunity to sell you service man-hours. They also had the opportunity to get you in their shop to potentially sell you other things. They turned all that opportunity down for a grudge against some nebulous "they."

The shop deserves your pity, but not your business.

I wish there was a way to hit the "like" button mutiple times for your post on this subject.

OP,
The shop has no clue from where or when you purchased your reg set from, if they are not willing to provide you service then return the favor in-kind and spend your money elsewhere.

-Z

@Snakekid97 you likely can dive the core when it arrives as-is, but buying an IP gauge and learning how to tune the 2nd stage isn't a bad idea. a service should not be required for a new in the box regulator. the hog set is a solid setup too and has a turret and adjustment knob over the core. the hog seats anecdotally don't hold up as well so you may end up servicing more often though. either the core or the hog would be fine for cold water, the hog can be adjusted a bit lighter due to the adjustment knob.

Bob, here is a ling to the actual posting I've been referring to in case you're curious Aqua Lung Pack Core Supreme Din - RQ131112 3661666335591 | eBay

Thanks. I'm not immediately put off, if it was my favorite brand I could give you more help.

If the dive shop is as unsustainable as stated above would I be better off ordering a regulator online anyways? Even if not this eBay post, maybe someday from a authorized dealer or directly from a manufacturer?

Your choice need not depend on their business model. As for sustainability, it hinges on more than one issue. If it's the only shop in the area, has a sustainable cash flow and assets, it will continue until the owner is disinterested. Annoying is not always equal to failure.

Thank you guys for being patient with my questions.

Pass it on when you have the chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom