Problem with trim, "heavy head"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anders19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, two months ago I have changed my configuration from wetsuit/sidemoount to drysuit and bakcmount with twins to have the same configuration as my new group. Unfortunately, I have terrible problems with my trim on which I used to be proud :) The problem is like I have "heavy head" - head down, legs up. I have tried to put my tanks more down, also the v-weight tail is directed down, but this doesn't help at all. My fins are Hollis F1, slightly negative and there is definitely no problem with to much air in my legs. I have read a ton f articles about getting into trim with back mount and tried a lot of tips in my pool (only 1,5m deep), but ....nothing. Any advice please?

Which cylinders? Height? Back arched? How much weight is in tail pouch?

2x12L steel cylinders, my height is 185cm, only v-weight 6kg and 6mm steel backplate.

I dive dry, backmount double 100's, Hollis F1's. I had to get a few dives under my belt to really feel comfortable again (compared to singles). I use a Halcyon V weight pouch and have only weight in the bottom pouch (6lbs). I also had to play with where to put my wing (has 3 holes, I ended up in the middle hole). I had to play with what hole to use on the plate itself, and believe it or not I ended up using the top hole which actually pushed the tanks up a little. I wear 2 1lb weights on either side in small pouches on my webbing, but my suit is neoprene so a little more buoyant than what the cool kids wear.

My first 10 dives felt like my head was a bowling ball, felt so out of place. I couldn't tell you why, but moving stuff around and trying different configurations and then one day it just felt perfect. Tbh, I think the only difference from when I started was the V weight in the back.... but I really I think I just needed more experience more than anything.

To me it sounds like you've changed a lot in a short amount of time, if I had to guess I would think you need more experience (and I don't mean that in a rude way, we're all learning). Maybe try singles for a few dives in the drysuit before adding doubles? Just a thought. I think I had 10 or so drysuit dives before switching to doubles.

2x12L steel cylinders, my height is 185cm, only v-weight 6kg and 6mm steel backplate.

where do you put the v-weight? Looking at the picture, is it in position 1 or in position 2?
upload_2021-7-28_17-5-57.png

Assuming the plate is sized in the right place and that your bands aren’t already all the way up to the start of the crown on your cylinders, I’d try to move a couple 1-2kg of that V weight into a tail pouch.

Also, how do you place your arms when diving?
I try different position, but mainly in front of me, horizontal, this definitely has some impact and can make it better

My V-weight shape fill both position :) Up to me is its direction - if I want to have "the tail" on up or down.

Try to leave weights only in position 2, and move the other weights on a belt. In theory, it should help.

I try different position, but mainly in front of me, horizontal, this definitely has some impact and can make it better

It should be fine, but you can try to change it a bit.

Some quick extra questions:
[1] Which kind of drysuit and undergarments do you use?
[2] What is the average temperature range of your dives?
[3] Did you recently do a proper weight check?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom