Fishing for Goliath Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basa, tilapia or swai.
Rarely regulated with any vigor. Very common, in fact more likely in many cases to get fake fish anywhere than the higher priced premium fish.
I’ve got to think that it’s a lot harder to trick a consumer that’s familiar with the taste and texture of grouper. Tourists, on the other hand, aren’t quite as familiar. I know I’ve been served fake grouper before. Knew it as soon as I bit into it. That was a while ago, and before I started limiting where I eat seafood at restaurants.

It’s not always the restaurant’s fault though. Often the fake fish is substituted up the chain, and the restaurant may think they are actually purchasing grouper from the distributor, but they got duped as well.

Real quandary exists in trying to purchase ethically harvested and sustainably fished grouper, snapper and hogfish unless you see the fish being unloaded.
Believing that 9.95 1/2 pound grouper sammich and sides is really grouper is foolish. Believing you are getting what you pay for without seeing the actual fish or readily identifiable packaging is sheer hopefulness.
Yep. When I do buy fish, it’s at local fish markets. Whole fish on ice, with eyes uncovered. There is still the sustainability piece, though. As even locally caught fish can come from longline boats. I’d rather not support them, so always look for spearshaft holes.

There's no data to prove that claim is wrong, either.

Because there's no data.

Which doesn't matter because the claim doesn't need to be proven wrong to begin with. The burden of proof lies with one making the claim, not the one questioning it. AKA Hitchens's razor: "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."

uff. just leave the pretty fish alone. bring back soylent green.

Which doesn't matter because the claim doesn't need to be proven wrong to begin with. The burden of proof lies with one making the claim, not the one questioning it. AKA Hitchens's razor: "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."

Both (or many?) sides have made claims in this arguement, using varying degrees of evidence that may or may not necessarily withstand scientific scrutiny.

I would normally agree with you and Hitch but this isn't really an applicable situation.

Hitchens's razor: "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."

thank you for that insightful premise. unfortunately it doesn't take into account emotionality and prejudicial rhetoric. if it did, we could get rid of politicians.

Both (or many?) sides have made claims in this arguement, using varying degrees of evidence that may or may not necessarily withstand scientific scrutiny.

I would normally agree with you and Hitch but this isn't really an applicable situation.

Original claim in question was that #300 GG were ravaging reefs. The burden lies on the person making the claim to prove such, which hasn't happened.

Original claim in question was that #300 GG were ravaging reefs. The burden lies on the person making the claim to prove such, which hasn't happened.

Well, I didn't make that claim....

Well, I didn't make that claim....

I never said you did make the claim.

There's no data to prove that claim is wrong, either.

Because there's no data.

However, although you didn't make the claim, for some reason you felt the need to try validating it with a logic fallacy known as "appeal to ignorance".

I never said you did make the claim.

However, although you didn't make the claim, for some reason you felt the need to try validating it with a logic fallacy known as "appeal to ignorance".

Do "observational selection" on charter fishing boat captains/spearfishermen who complain to the FWC in public workshops that goliath grouper steal fish from their customer lines/spears....

It's almost like you guys are measuring your...

brains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom