Any way to help Cozumel with vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m in Cozumel now. I have been told be several locals that there is a lot of resistance to the vaccine out of fear (not unlike the U.S.).
Make it a job requirement. Solved.

Yeah, good luck with that.
It works. In the US, make it a requirement for other benefits. The pandemic is still hurting all economies and populations. Since many won't voluntarily join the solution, make the solution a requirement.

Since PPE for providers is being reported as an issue, maybe bringing some of that down (if you have access to it) would be helpful. Perhaps someone with connections among medical community (@RayfromTX) there can ask them to identify what exactly they may need.

If you bring PPE to Cozumel and want to connect to some doctors, I know 4, three on the island and one from the island working on the mainland. PPE was not a problem there when I left in mid June. Unfortunate is that has changed.

I’m in Cozumel now. I have been told be several locals that there is a lot of resistance to the vaccine out of fear (not unlike the U.S.). I have heard this multiple times from several different people. They are beginning some new restrictions soon, including the need to show vaccination records for certain things (like going to the movies). They have laminated vaccine cards that some locals carry.

A friend we eventually convinced to get his told the story of the governor in Veracruz diverting chemo money and giving the cancer kids shots of water. He doesn't trust the gov.

Make it a job requirement. Solved.
Back to just because you are eligible for vaccine doesn't mean its actual available when they line up to get a shot. There are also undocumented folks (tourist visa overstays in addition to folks streaming up from the southern border) that are not eligible.
But I do agree with the idea of a job mandate and wish the USA would lead by example and require those who are eligible and have access to vaccine (everyone over 12 years old in the USA) to have it to continue employment. Especially folks in those fields whose leadership screamed for early head of the line privileges and then subsequently refused it.

He doesn't trust the gov.
I wouldn't either, his or mine, but I generally trust the CDC, more so on this issue today with Delta filling hospitals with low vax rates.

My daughter's family gave me a big scare last spring. My Son-in-law and my granddaughter hadn't taken the threat seriously, and my daughter was too passive in my opinion, then they all came down with Covid. SIL was bedridden while my daughter complaining she needed him to suck it up and help with the great-grands they're raising. I had to fight the urge to go move in to help as I'd just become a bigger problem myself. Then the SIL ended up in a hospital tent with pneumonia waiting on enough to recover or die to let him have an indoor bed. Fortunately, they all recovered. I'd really hate it if they had to endure all that living in a back colonial in Mexico!

We are all vaxxed now, but I'm worried again today with the lower immunity to Delta. I never quit masking or isolating as much as possible, but now more so. Then there's my brother and SIL with their challenged immune systems. I am grateful that she's adopted online shopping and curbside pickup, as they were a challenge to shop for.

Back to just because you are eligible for vaccine doesn't mean its actual available when they line up to get a shot. There are also undocumented folks (tourist visa overstays in addition to folks streaming up from the southern border) that are not eligible.
But I do agree with the idea of a job mandate and wish the USA would lead by example and require those who are eligible and have access to vaccine (everyone over 12 years old in the USA) to have it to continue employment. Especially folks in those fields whose leadership screamed for early head of the line privileges and then subsequently refused it.

I imagine eventually Mexico will get to the point than anyone can walk in and get it like the US, but not for a while yet. At the current rate MX needs a year to reach 100%. Of course at some point the people that want it will dwindle and slow it more and more vax get them to that point faster?

Well, I would go for jobs requiring it, but not the gov per se.

It works. In the US, make it a requirement for other benefits. The pandemic is still hurting all economies and populations. Since many won't voluntarily join the solution, make the solution a requirement.
Oh, I have no doubt it would work if you could make it happen. Making it happen is the hard part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom