New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a number of dives now. Really changed how I shore dive. Moved the compass as much as possible to the tip of the nose, helped with accuracy, now the compass is spot on. Got used to dynamic speed selector, took a bit while to get used to to such an outstanding convenience. During a long dive a body really wants to switch hands but using a left hand is inconvenient, I tend to mess up the speed selector with a back of a palm. Still can't get over how light the scooter is. I get to see way more marine life as it doesn't have time to disappear before I see it, without a scooter they would be gone before I even notice. Another positive note is that when scootering, I can look around still without an issue, makes me more aware of the surroundings. Even after a long dive the scooter noise does not get tiresome.

During the last dive currents changed to be parallel to the shore, made swimming by leg power against a current impossible. No issue with a scooter, it did show extra 200Watt use but no issue pushing against otherwise an un-swimmable current and then some.

Still struggling with turning on/off Sentry with knocks, I feel like a remedial student/user.

Reached a forced lower power level just once after about a 2h:30m burn (148mins, 621watts, 62.9v). Concerned over the manual saying it should happen only during the last 10-15% capacity but it seems it kicked in around 22%. I only noticed because I was running at max the last leg toward the very shore.

Had a number of dives now. Really changed how I shore dive. Moved the compass as much as possible to the tip of the nose, helped with accuracy, now the compass is spot on. Got used to dynamic speed selector, took a bit while to get used to to such an outstanding convenience. During a long dive a body really wants to switch hands but using a left hand is inconvenient, I tend to mess up the speed selector with a back of a palm. Still can't get over how light the scooter is. I get to see way more marine life as it doesn't have time to disappear before I see it, without a scooter they would be gone before I even notice. Another positive note is that when scootering, I can look around still without an issue, makes me more aware of the surroundings. Even after a long dive the scooter noise does not get tiresome.

During the last dive currents changed to be parallel to the shore, made swimming by leg power against a current impossible. No issue with a scooter, it did show extra 200Watt use but no issue pushing against otherwise an un-swimmable current and then some.

Still struggling with turning on/off Sentry with knocks, I feel like a remedial student/user.

Reached a forced lower power level just once after about a 2h:30m burn (148mins, 621watts, 62.9v). Concerned over the manual saying it should happen only during the last 10-15% capacity but it seems it kicked in around 22%. I only noticed because I was running at max the last leg toward the very shore.

I'm not trying to nit-pick. Just trying to understand the details. (is that the same thing? LOL)

It's supposed to be an 850W-Hr battery capacity? So, if it went to forced lower power level after 621 used, that means it had (in theory) 27% left?

I'm not trying to nit-pick. Just trying to understand the details. (is that the same thing? LOL)

It's supposed to be an 850W-Hr battery capacity? So, if it went to forced lower power level after 621 used, that means it had (in theory) 27% left?

You are right, I was going off 800W number.

Reduced power mode kicks in when battery voltage hits 57.5V (+/-0.5V) For reference, peak voltage is 74V and shut off is 50V. Running at full throttle causes more voltage sag from the battery under load than running at cruise power and as the battery approaches the voltage "knee" of the discharge curve, sag also increases slightly. The reduced power mode is set to kick in at the voltage "knee" to reduce the drain rate during the weakest part of the battery discharge curve, reducing the risk of damaging the cells by high current near the end of discharge.

The 62.9V you reported is the voltage that the battery recovered to (running at about 330W) after tripping the reduction at 57-58V. Yes, 5-6 volts of sag is what you get at full power (900-1000W) on the 2.1 Under normal cruise speeds, the voltage sag is much less (1-2V) and the reduced power mode would not have been triggered as soon. In reduced power mode, you still have over 300w of power, which is generally over 200fpm for most divers on the Genesis and most divers never realize they are in reduced power mode, because they are usually well below 300W of power while cruising/normal diving.

DPV divers need to plan their battery use just like their breathing gas use, using the rule of thirds for additional safety, when needed. This is something most divers have never done because they did not have decent feedback on battery consumption or power usage, which is why we created the Sentry Dashboard so many years ago. I've never run out of breathing gas, and since the Sentry, I've never had to swim a scooter. ... Kickin's for chumps.

A great machine! Zoom-zoom.

Too many bubbles to call it a perfect day... :wink: :D

Set the Playback Speed to 2X and that looked REALLY fun! LOL!

I had to pause it and have a good look at the tow cord. That looks like a pretty cool setup.

Question for you cave/fresh water divers using the G2.1. How much weight do you have at the backend? Mine is configured for salt water using a 1lb weight. Should I be okay using .5lb to achieve a neutrally buoyant DPV? I don't have any accessories on the DPV, only a 2 inch webbing carry handle, an SK8 wrist mount compass & the two tow cords/leashes.

Plan to dive Lake Tahoe in a few weeks. It will be my first time using the DPV in fresh water and at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom