Any way to help Cozumel with vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked. My one friend in his 50 got both. Another that was holding out only got 1 but expects #2 this friday.

That is good to know they are that far with second shots, I thought it was no where near that..

Where is your friend seeing that this Friday there are shots?? The Secretaria de Salud page is the only one I know anouncing them and rechecking their page, I don't see any anouncement???? They are in the 30+ group in places on the mainland....

That is good to know they are that far with second shots, I thought it was no where near that..

Where is your friend seeing that this Friday there are shots?? The Secretaria de Salud page is the only one I know anouncing them and rechecking their page, I don't see any anouncement???? They are in the 30+ group in places on the mainland....

Good question. I will have to ask him. Maybe they told him to expect it friday?

And Centro gained a spot going from 9 to 8! Winning....

and they are doing/did the 30-39 around the mainland, but Cancun got the AZ and Tulum got sinovac, that just SO effective Chinese vaccine....

I wonder if the island is JUST doing Pfizer? So maybe that is the delay? Getting the good stuff in?

204102734_3247674862132637_3184416740085834033_n.jpg

Is there anything I can do, as a visitor, to help Cozumel residents get vaccinations faster, or get people vaccinated who otherwise could not? I know nothing about the process in Mexico. Do Mexicans have to pay for vaccinations? Can I donate somewhere reputable that would help? Is there anything I can bring to the island to donate that might help? I really would like to find some way to help the people who made some of the most memorable vacations I've ever had possible.

If the answer is just "spend money and wear a mask", well I'll already be doing both of those things. Just wondering if there's any other way to help.

We were just in Akumal a couple of weeks ago. At that time they were just opening the 40-49 age group. He and his wife are both 39. He had covid in January, so I guess they allowed him to get the first dose and he's waiting on the second. I'm not sure if she was allowed to get it yet or not. What he told us is that besides just not having enough vaccine yet, the bigger issue is people's distrust of the vaccine and distrust in what the Mexican government is telling them. (I suppose that distrust is the same here in the USA amongst lots of people since the vaccination rate is substantially down here as well.) Our friend's father was very afraid to get the vaccine, but was finally convinced to do so. I got the impression that many older people feel this way, but that's only anecdotal. sure hope things improve in Mexico. They really cannot afford shutdowns, based on what I've been told.

I think you are very correct - it seems there is no gray area here - people are either waiting 6 hours in the sun with a smile on their face wanting the vaccine and there is the other group that are firmly firmly heck no......

Living here a few years, I will never fully understand the culture but I have learned a heck of a lot more - there are groups that trust nothing and the group isn't small.

Well in fairness there are a number of people that timed it right and got in an out rather quickly.

Mi vecino went at 1145 and was out at 1230 for his second shot. First shot he waited 6 hours and they told him next time come at noon. We will be done with the 6 am people by then. And that advice worked.

I skipped my age group because I felt that locals should go first and I had seen people lined up for 6 blocks in the older age group.

Two weeks ago when it was here, they ran out in one place and had a six block long line at 2pm in the other place. Later that night, they announced 1600 available doses, come tomorrow at 11:30 and don't come early. At 10am, the line encircled Bicentenial park and that's a huge freaking park. Add to the confusion the people that were in line the other day that were supposed to be at the head of the line and had to push their way up there......

Is any age group other than the over 70 people complete with their second dose??? The second doses were taking two months or longer......

I'm going to Florida, get a shot, see mom, dive with Chatterton maybe and eat a sausage mcmuffin with egg

The chance to dive with Chatterton is worth the trip to Florida alone... at least in my book.

As a direct answer to the original question, there's not really a way a visitor could help directly with vaccination efforts.

Visitors certainly CAN help, though.

A major way would be by reducing burden of infection in a population of whom many are not vaccinated, including lots who would like to be.

Δ variant is very contagious. My fully-(Moderna-)vaccinated nephew got sick on the way to see his parents and got his fully-(J&J and Pfizer-) vaccinated parents sick. He's not a jerk, but thought everything was OK because he's vaccinated, and flew from San Francisco to DC. We don't know when he became infected or when he became contagious. Either he infected a bunch of people in the airports and on the plane or someone infected him and a bunch of other people on the trip. Half of our inpatient respiratory department night shift is out sick, traced to a single patient who presented to the ED (unvaccinated and refusing to wear a mask). Emergency and respiratory departments in the US are starting to see a sharp uptick in the number of people presenting sick. Cozumel has decent medical resources but they don't have access to what we do including adequate PPE for staff.

The primary way, though, that I personally intend to help is by being as sure as I possibly can that I don't travel to the island while contagious. Even though I'm fully-vaccinated, I act as if I'm not. I work in an acute-care hospital inpatient setting where I have high exposure to a range of pathogens and live in a part of the country with poor vaccination rates where they've completely given up on masking or social distancing.

If you can't see your way clear to wear a mask and maintain social distance because you're vaccinated, strongly consider doing so for 2 weeks prior to traveling to the island and certainly while traveling.

Even if you're vaccinated, you're still required to wear a mask in pubic everywhere on the island, so do that. Maintain distance. Wash hands.

^
Great post.
Personal hygiene is the first line of defense for oneself and others.
SARS 1 infected a mere 8422 but killed 11%. We are lucky with this one but how about those in the future?

Unfortunately we are living in a free world.
Antivaxer Kate Shemirani’s son says she should be prosecuted | News | The Times

There is NO solution for the problem.

I’m in Cozumel now. I have been told be several locals that there is a lot of resistance to the vaccine out of fear (not unlike the U.S.). I have heard this multiple times from several different people. They are beginning some new restrictions soon, including the need to show vaccination records for certain things (like going to the movies). They have laminated vaccine cards that some locals carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom