Stage bottles transmitter plus SPG setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I have one of the Shearwater Swift transmitters coming. And I was trying to figure out the best way to attach it to one of my stages, and avoid any issues. I am planning to keep my current stage SPG setup, as I am skeptical that Shearwater can efficiently display the pressures on screen.

My current setup is a Mk25 oriented sideways, with a box standard stage SPG setup, from the bottom port and bungeed so it is over the top of the reg. So that only leaves my top HP port clear. So I have three options.

1 - just attach the transmitters to the top port.

Not a big fan of this, as it would be easy to damage.

2 - Use a HP hose and pull the transmitter port so I can tuck it under one of my hose retainers.

This seems workable, though it might get in the way or escape from the hose retainer. And bending the HP hoses 180 degrees means it has an increased chance of failure.

3 - Use a HP port splitter on the bottom HP port, and then run it straight down to the hose retainer on a short HP hose

This seems like it would have the least amount of issues during the dive, as long as the HP port splitter is reliable.

As far as why? I like being able to see my SAC rate post-dive, being able to spot things and with long term data I can have more accurate dive planning. And if Shearwater gets it so it can efficiently display the data on my screen that would be a plus, no more having to charge the SPG to view it.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it. I may eventually get a 2nd transmitter. I'm no longer tech diving but I do sling a pony as an AAS on many dives. Being able to see the tank pressure might come in handy. Currently it has a button SPG but it is more for pressure confirmation on the boat. It isn't in an easily readable location when diving.

why are you skeptical about displaying the data? The pictures in the firmware were pretty clear about how it can be done. I would put it straight on the stage bottle and if you're that concerned, put the redundant SPG on your sidemount bottle which is much easier to deal with the second one.

why are you skeptical about displaying the data? The pictures in the firmware were pretty clear about how it can be done. I would put it straight on the stage bottle and if you're that concerned, put the redundant SPG on your sidemount bottle which is much easier to deal with the second one.

Right now I have T1 and T2 on the screen, plus PPO2 and Delta 5. I suppose I could combine the PPO2 and Delta 5 in the middle slot; and put S1 and S2 in the right hand slot. But most of the time that would be red as I probably do a stage dive once every month or so.

I don't have any SPGs on my sidemount bottles, as the AI has proven reliable enough that I trust it.

Right now I have T1 and T2 on the screen, plus PPO2 and Delta 5. I suppose I could combine the PPO2 and Delta 5 in the middle slot; and put S1 and S2 in the right hand slot. But most of the time that would be red as I probably do a stage dive once every month or so.

I don't have any SPGs on my sidemount bottles, as the AI has proven reliable enough that I trust it.

It appears as though you can get 3 lines on the center row now so you may be able to get t1/t2/t3 in one cell. If that's the case, go with that. If not I'd combine t1/t2 since they're technically "together" and then put t3 in its own cell in lieu of ppO2. You can start playing with all of this now while you're waiting on the transmitter to come in, but I wouldn't start messing with dual SPG's on a stage bottle

It appears as though you can get 3 lines on the center row now so you may be able to get t1/t2/t3 in one cell. If that's the case, go with that. If not I'd combine t1/t2 since they're technically "together" and then put t3 in its own cell in lieu of ppO2. You can start playing with all of this now while you're waiting on the transmitter to come in, but I wouldn't start messing with dual SPG's on a stage bottle

I think 3 lines would be a little too small to read.

So right now I have in the left most cell: T1 and T2, middle cell PPO2, and the right cell Delta 5.

I suppose I can change it to:
Left cell T1 and T2, middle cell PPO2 and Delta 5, and right cell S1 and S2

So I have one of the Shearwater Swift transmitters coming. And I was trying to figure out the best way to attach it to one of my stages, and avoid any issues. I am planning to keep my current stage SPG setup, as I am skeptical that Shearwater can efficiently display the pressures on screen.

Given your comfort level with AI, seems you could relegate your SPG on the stage bottle to a less-optimum position and put the transmitter in a preferred position. Chances are, after all, you won't ever be looking at the SPG again...

I would not write off being able to read three pressures on the screen until you've experimented a bit.

About the only issue I could see with going transmitter only is that the GUE (as I was taught by my cave instructor) gas switch procedure is that with the valve off, you purge the reg and see the SPG drop as an additional verification that the reg is connected to the correct bottle.

Remove your current SPG, place the transmitter in that downward-facing HP port, and install a button SPG on the top-facing port?

That might work, I will check to see if I can see the button gauge.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom