Yellow - Sharks - Octo and Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...how many shark attacks are there on divers in a given year....?

from what ive been able to find, its around 5/year
Do Sharks Attack Divers? Facts and Figures - Dive Site Blog - Your Source of Everything Scuba

how many of those attacks can be attributed to the color yellow...hell, ill be generous and say 100% of them.

well according to DAN, there are 2.351 million divers in America alone who dive 1 to 7 times per year.

so in just America, you have at minimum 2.351 MILLION dives taking place.

so you have a less than 0.00021% chance of being attacked by a shark.

do we really need to change an entire industry of Dive equipment for something that is statistically NEVER going to happen to you?

I wear yellow fins pretty much every dive. I have many hundreds of dives with sharks. Our staff divers have many thousands of dives with sharks and every swinging one of them has a yellow hose and yellow faceplate on their octos. Surely if yellow was so attractive to sharks we would see many bites. Please do not expect scientific rigor from myth busters. Evidence suggests that many (if not most) sharks are color blind and rely on contrast instead. We actually have a few shark sticks woth yellow tape on them. They work just as well as the ones with ornage or black tape on them.

YMMV,

Jackie

...how many shark attacks are there on divers in a given year....?

so you have a less than 0.00021% chance of being attacked by a shark.
do we really need to change an entire industry of Dive equipment for something that is statistically NEVER going to happen to you?

Bingo!
I agree - you made a good point, and that was my thought to my original questions in OP, but still wanted to hear others opinions.

Using colors for diving gear always seemed dumb to me as the colors are changed as depth increases and ambient light decreases. I guess yellow is ok above 60FSW deeper not so much.

I use black, on my gear I use tactile indicators, I don't need to see only feel for whatever piece of gear I need.

i'm setting up my freedom bp/w with yellow and red harness and wing specifically so i can change color throughout the water column. i look like Scuba Steve on the boat but i'm like a glistening rainbow underwater. Now if I could just get the glitter to stay on...

I just bought a pair of big bright yellow fins - the black+yellow theme reminded me of my hometown’s taxi colors and I was feeling nostalgic.

I’m betting that this is not a concern, but I’ll let you know if I develop a limp when we get to bullshark season :)

My 20+ Y.O. Mares Quattro fins in high contrast black and yum yum yellow are still unscathed after hundreds of dives, many with many sharks.

Funny you say that. These were my fins for the last 4 years before I pass them down to my youngest son. Bright Blue and Yummy Yellow. :D

upload_2021-7-27_13-0-8.png

Back
Top Bottom