New Shearwater AI transmitter - the Swift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shearwater has now announced their own AI transmitter. It's called the Swift.

The next generation SWIFT AI Transmitter - Shearwater Research

It appears to be the same as the current PPS transmitter, but with some extra features.

The web page says it is compatible with all Shearwater AI computers as well as "many other computers that are already on the market". I take that to mean that it's an enhanced version of the current transmitter and will work with the same computers as the current one - i.e. it would work with Oceanic, Aqualung, Hollis, etc..

The specs also say it uses the same battery as the PPS transmitter, and has the same service life (300 dive hours).

The enhancements are:

- It detects other transmitters and waits to transmit so as to not interfere with other transmitters.
- It has an LED that flashes when it transmits or if it detects an interfering signal.

Pricing is USD$395 and the older transmitters are $350.

The new one seems cool, but I have used multiple transmitters a fair bit - in sidemount and on the dil and O2 cylinders on my CCR - and I have never personally had an issue with transmitter interference. So, I'm not sure I would spend the extra money for the Swift over the older type. But, I'm guessing Shearwater is going to stop selling the older style when their supply runs out. At that point, I would definitely buy a Swift over buying a non-Shearwater branded PPS transmitter. The Shearwater warranty is worth the extra money to me. And, I think the other brands sell the PPS transmitters for about $400 anyway.

One thing I just saw - apparently, the Swift requires a small screwdriver to remove the shell from the body to perform a battery change.

That definitely seems like a regression, to me. I've had to change the battery on a transmitter before as a kind of last-minute thing. Only needing something like a coin to open up the battery compartment is a great benefit, I think. Having to have a small screwdriver handy in order to do that seems a lot less convenient.

Need to merge with existing thread.

What existing thread? I don't see any other mention of the Swift transmitter? At least, not here in the Computers subforum.

I read that the new transmitter is needed if you want to activate transmitter 3 or 4. So perhaps that’s the why pay extra?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom