Tips for towing a dive flag???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there any special tip/trick to doing it so the line doesn't entangle to my legs/fins or my face?

When I go in the same direction as the wave, then it's fine because the line will float in front of me, but when I go in any other direction then it often tangle to my face or even my fins.

Is there any special tip/trick to doing it so the line doesn't entangle to my legs/fins or my face?

When I go in the same direction as the wave, then it's fine because the line will float in front of me, but when I go in any other direction then it often tangle to my face or even my fins.
I just hold the spool/reel out to my side and back. That, not having a lot of excess line out, and trying to be aware of where my limbs are generally works out.
Also, in case no one has told you, never clip it off to you. Boaters have been known to runover/drag/try to take dive flags... which would suck extra if it's attached to you instead of held in hand!

Respectfully,

James

A buoyant line will help keep you from getting tangled. Keep the reel in one hand (usually the non-dominant hand). And away from tank valves. Check your line early and often.

I hold it out with a straight arm to one side. If there is current, so the line won't back up into my gear. I suppose same goes for significant surface wave action. I try to keep the line taught without pulling the flag underwater.
Of course you can anchor the flag somewhere on the bottom and don't wander too far, if that's a possibility.
I hate dive flags and am lucky not to need one locally, due to hardly any boat traffic and no law that I know of, amazingly (I've done a search).

One of these day's, a young smart Tech Geek will invent a battery self propelled...

Wireless Dive Flag Drone

that will follow us underwater using already proven acoustical tracking.
I'd pay $300 for that !!
PS @alex_can_dive ,,Even after 25 years of towing a flag, last month I had to 'doff & don ' my BCD on the bottom sand cause I got the line wrapped under my pony and around my main tank valve. I was pissed, but it happens to everyone who tow's and goes!!

In the few times I've had to drag a flag, I've just tied it off once I descended to a reasonable depth. Of course, this only works if your entry/exit points are the same. Once you are at depth, the purpose of dragging a flag is no longer relevant.

We actually use the flag and its line as a way to find lost buddies - ie., if someone gets separated, they'll go up, find the flag and descend along the line down to the rest of us.

So I'd have to drag the flag whereever I go :)

It remains relevant in NJ. They watch your bubbles, so do fishermen who have to pull in to let you pass. Why I dive alone and at night, let me count the reasons...
Yeah I know. There are a lot of boats & fishermen in Jersey and from what I read, maybe the stricktest of dive flag rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom