Diving South Caicos? Is it any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read on the TripAdvisor Forum that the T&Cs recently had around 30 new cases of covid-19, mostly in tourists and possibly connected to infections they picked up over July 4th celebrations.

The Minister of Health said that the Board (of Ministers) will meet to discuss changing the entry requirements to testing within 3 days of arrival instead of 5 days. No idea when this change is likely to go into effect.

No idea when this change is likely to go into effect.
I was thinking a couple months ago that we were going to be free to travel seeing less and less restrictions going forward. However, with the significant number of people worldwide unwilling or unable to get vaccinated, the virus will continue to take up host in the population and continue to mutate with new variants. All this, unfortunately, looks like it may lead to a tightening up on what may be just brief period of relatively restriction free travel. Not happy thoughts.

I just read on the TripAdvisor Forum that the T&Cs recently had around 30 new cases of covid-19, mostly in tourists and possibly connected to infections they picked up over July 4th celebrations.

The Minister of Health said that the Board (of Ministers) will meet to discuss changing the entry requirements to testing within 3 days of arrival instead of 5 days. No idea when this change is likely to go into effect.

It’s in effect. Testing within 3 days of departure BUT now includes an Antigen test instead of only a PCR test. That’s a big deal.

We are in PHL and looking to south caicos, when are you going and where are you staying?

Sorry, I was away - did not see this message. I’ll be there from Oct 2-9 at East Bay Resort.

It’s in effect. Testing within 3 days of departure BUT now includes an Antigen test instead of only a PCR test. That’s a big deal.

Here's the latest:

Turks and Caicos Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands
Visiting Requirements
Effective 28 July 2021, test requirements for entry will change. The testing window will also change from 5 days to 3 days, and antigen tests will be accepted.

Acceptable tests will be:

• Professionally administered Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Tests (RT-PCR).
  • Nucleic Acid Amplification tests (NAA).
  • RNA or molecular tests.
  • Antigen tests.
Antibody and home-test kits are not accepted for entry into the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Here's the latest:

Turks and Caicos Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands
Visiting Requirements
Effective 28 July 2021, test requirements for entry will change. The testing window will also change from 5 days to 3 days, and antigen tests will be accepted.

Acceptable tests will be:

• Professionally administered Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Tests (RT-PCR).
  • Nucleic Acid Amplification tests (NAA).
  • RNA or molecular tests.
  • Antigen tests.
Antibody and home-test kits are not accepted for entry into the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Bit Confusing. The first three are all a PCR Test. The Fourth is Antigen. IOW: PCR or Antigen. I can't imagine why anyone would choose a PCR but that's just me.

Bit Confusing. The first three are all a PCR Test. The Fourth is Antigen. IOW: PCR or Antigen. I can't imagine why anyone would choose a PCR but that's just me.

It is confusing, the information goes on to say that you do need a PCR test to get the TCI Travel Assured Travel Authorization to board your flight, but then it switches back to 5 days before travel - so I'm confused. Hopefully, they will get it straightened out soon!

You need a TCI Assured Travel Authorization to board your flight. This is a free authorization and you apply online. You'll need:

• A negative COVID-19 PCR test result. The test must be taken within 5 days prior to travel in the islands. Children under 10 are exempted from this requirement.
  • Insurance which covers COVID-19 medical costs and full hospitalization, doctors’ visits, prescriptions, and air ambulance.
  • Completed online health screening questionnaire (part of the TCI Assured free online travel authorization).

It is confusing, the information goes on to say that you do need a PCR test to get the TCI Travel Assured Travel Authorization to board your flight, but then it switches back to 5 days before travel - so I'm confused. Hopefully, they will get it straightened out soon!

You need a TCI Assured Travel Authorization to board your flight. This is a free authorization and you apply online. You'll need:

• A negative COVID-19 PCR test result. The test must be taken within 5 days prior to travel in the islands. Children under 10 are exempted from this requirement.
  • Insurance which covers COVID-19 medical costs and full hospitalization, doctors’ visits, prescriptions, and air ambulance.
  • Completed online health screening questionnaire (part of the TCI Assured free online travel authorization).

I have some friends in GT now. They confirmed that the new regulations go into effect on Jul 28. It's the three day thing that prompted the inclusion of an Antigen test. I reckon there's a lag between the websites.

Reef Divers is sweetening the pot with a $100 resort credit at East Bay Resort if you book a new trip by September 13th. It is only good for new bookings, not bookings being swapped over from other RD resorts. But if you recently booked with EBR and haven't put down your deposit yet, they will add it for you. I also got a little bit of information about flights. It looks like the last flight to South Caicos from PLS has been moved a bit later so that it will be easier to catch from inbound international flights. The last flight is now at 4:40pm, so at least from Southwest's current schedule, you would have a little over 2 hours to make it through customs and recheck bags.

RD is asking that people go ahead and book through Intercaribbean until the flights fill up, and then they will be arranging charters after that if needed. Their ultimate goal is to convince IC to add more flights or larger planes, and it least for next March, it looks like they are doing that, because the flight I just booked is not a Twin Otter, but something bigger. They show some flights with an Embraer Brasilia 120, which would match the seating chart shown when I booked.

As far as booking charters, she said the minimum would be 8 guests, and if flights were full, they would start a list of guests needing flights, and if extra flights weren't added, they would do a charter when they reached 8, or add them to a group charter if there was already a group setup with one.

See below for the email I just received about the $100 resort credit.

========================

mail

mail

Book your South Caicos Getaway and Receive $100 Resort Credit!
The Turks & Caicos Islands are open and East Bay Resort is ready to start welcoming divers! Book your next dive vacation at East Bay Resort today, and receive $100 resort credit**.

mail

East Bay Escape
7 Nights’ Accommodation

$100 Resort Credit**

Breakfast & Dinner Daily

6 Days of 2 Tank Morning Boat Dives

Complimentary WIFI

Free Use of a Dive Computer

Welcome Rum Punch

Airport Ground Transfers

Resort Fees, Taxes & Gratuities

**Book by 9/13/21, for travel 9/4/21 - 1/29/22. Applies to new bookings only.

From $2,195 per diver
The sea is calling…It’s time to get back in the water!

Call us toll-free 800-327-3835 to plan your next dive vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom