Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y E S !!!

Take all the L I O N F I S H you can stuff in your bags!!
Totally legal and highly encouraged by FWC officers, no license needed !!

View attachment 672289

I think that officer is laughing at you, not with you. That little guy is freaking hilarious. Did you kill it with a toothpick gun?

.. That little guy is freaking hilarious. ..
I knew the officer and he was teasing me that I should be in handcuffs, it was so small.
B U T........

Several of us members are entered into the Florida FWC Lionfish tournament where we have to cut off the tails, bag them and submit them for entry on the leader board. Every tail counts big or tiny. IT's FREE & WE GET PRIZES. So at my 1st - 25 tails, I got a nice long sleeve dri-fit dive shirt and a custom coin that allows me to go OVER THE LIMIT for lobster this coming Weds & Thur (woohoo!!). At 100 tails, we get a custom filet knife, coozy, and thermo mug. 300+ and you get a pole spears, big Yeti coolers, free airfills and more & more.

Not bad for F R E E !!

In 42 years I've never lost a fish while transporting it. I still have fish I collected 10 years ago, but I just set up a new large aquarium and have a short list, two fish I'll be collecting this winter.
I would love to be privy to some of your saltwater knowledge.

I'm seriously considering an Opsanus Tau. I'm pretty sure that I could keep it alive and happy.

We should meet up...

Ken is the real deal....we go back....way back lol....I met him in 1972 he was working at Tavernier Brine shrimp company...in Tavernier for some crazy guy...I forget his name. We both became live rock farmers and he became the premier coral reef builder on the planet. He pioneered culture and farming stag and elkhorn corals. Amazing work and help saving the reefs in the Keys.

When my father started diving you could take 10 red abalone per person, per day - on scuba! Today, I don't even know what the limit is, - 10 per season? My point is, the drastic change in abalone conservation rules, in just two generations, tells me we are having a measurable, and negative effect. I chose to stop hunting abalone years ago for this reason. That said,- I still collect the occasional dead abalone shell.

Why take stuff? You’re not really preventing sea level rise by doing that. And like most things, they’re better in their natural environment. I do take things quite frequently, but limit my take to: discarded monofilament, sinkers, hooks; other human trash. PS: taking anything that is Cites listed, or falls under the EPBC Act (feel free to educate yourselves there), is likely to contravene a law for starters. Buy a camera!

Sure, easy not to pick stuff up in Australia. Everything is trying to, and more than capable of, killing you.

I guess that's karma, though.

I have always taken stuff from diving trip: memory ie nothing physical.
The only reason why I went diving ie. see it with my own eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom