What thickness wetsuit for Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is never any reason to wear a 7mm wetsuit in salt water, unless you can also use steel tanks. A 7mm suit leaves you heavily overweighted for most of your dive. It you need that much insulation, get a tropical trilaminate dry suit instead.

I just add my Bare Chill Guard under my 3 mm and if that does do the trick, then I throw on the Sharkskin on top of it all. Toasty warm and no change in buoyancy because the two tops are neutral.

There is never any reason to wear a 7mm wetsuit in salt water
It sounds like you never dove Puget Sound. It's worth the trip.
It you need that much insulation, get a tropical trilaminate dry suit instead.
I used to know a gal who chilled so easily that she dived a dry suit in Coz.

We were in Cozumel in December 2020 and March of 21. My dive computer registered 81 degrees in December and 80 in March. I wore a 5 mil both times and was comfortable - and I tend to be chilly. But so much depends on your body and comfort.

I have dove Cozumel in Febuary for the last several years and find a 3mm wetsuit works well for me. I consider myself a bit of a warm water wuss. 78F is about the coldest water you'll encounter with 80-81 being normal. Enjoy!

I have dove Cozumel in Febuary for the last several years and find a 3mm wetsuit works well for me. I consider myself a bit of a warm water wuss. 78F is about the coldest water you'll encounter with 80-81 being normal. Enjoy!

Hey there's nothing wrong with being a WWW. We just like being very comfortable while we get our nitrogen fix!

It sounds like you never dove Puget Sound.
I used to live near Deception Pass in Whidbey Island.

There is even less reason to wear a 7mm in Puget Sound than in Cozumel. Everyone should be in a dry suit in the Puget Sound.

In winter in the Florida Keys, I wear a dry suit. Everyone laughs, until they have to sit out the second dive, shivering from the cold, while I enjoy my two comfortable warm dives.

I used to live near Deception Pass in Whidbey Island.

There is even less reason to wear a 7mm in Puget Sound than in Cozumel. Everyone should be in a dry suit in the Puget Sound.

In winter in the Florida Keys, I wear a dry suit. Everyone laughs, until they have to sit out the second dive, shivering from the cold, while I enjoy my two comfortable warm dives.
Are the water temperatures in the Keys that much colder than those around Cozumel? I have never seen anyone sit out the second dive because they are too cold to dive, and lots of people dive there year round with no cold water protection at all. I don't know anyone who dives Cozumel in a drysuit, ever; you'd be the first.

Are the water temperatures in the Keys that much colder than those around Cozumel?
Winter in the Keys, paired with the wind and rain, can be brutally cold. I have even had boat trips cancelled because everyone was too cold for the second dive. Except me in my dry suit.

In Cozumel I wear swim shorts and a T-shirt. I will wear a 3mm wetsuit for a night dive.

Are the water temperatures in the Keys that much colder than those around Cozumel? I have never seen anyone sit out the second dive because they are too cold to dive, and lots of people dive there year round with no cold water protection at all. I don't know anyone who dives Cozumel in a drysuit, ever; you'd be the first.
We dove the Keys in January and February. It’s cold! Water was in the low 70s! I brought my 5 mil, with a vest and hood, I had a dry suit back then, I wish I had it with me. Boat coat was essential!

Back
Top Bottom