Lost computer, St Martin, George Long Reef dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello
Seas were rough yesterday and a diver flipped out so our dive turned into search and rescue.

somewhere around George dive sight and long reef, I lost an Atmos dive computer

If anyone finds it please let me know, thank you so much

finding that will be a small miracle.

i think we need details on the dive incident though. :)

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that — the weather was terrible yesterday (even lightning!) so I spent my time inside. Usually it doesn’t rain relentlessly all day, but yesterday was pretty bad. Are you diving again today? The weather looks much better going forward.

I have not dove Long Bay Reef yet but I’ve done The Gregory twice. When I go again I’ll keep an eye out. It would be worth contacting the other dive shops on the island to let them know you dropped it.

finding that will be a small miracle.

i think we need details on the dive incident though. :)

I have been diving for six years nothing like this has ever happened before,
So I should be grateful rather than complaining

we all get on the boat there were a couple guys who hadn’t been diving in a few years the captain ask them if they would like to do a check out, they declined

One of those guys asked if he had to stay with the group or can you go off on your own. the weather was insane they said stay with the group

this guy immediately went off on his own before the whole group was together the bottom.

then we couldn’t find him

this idiot got down there said he was looking for his camera dropped a weight and panicked dropped another weight popped up to the top

We heard he got to the top and was yelling and screaming to be rescued

we spent our time looking for the jerk

Captain told the dive master he was on board, the dive master heard abort

needless to say the entire dive was a total **** show because one guy who hadn”t dove in five years thought he was too cool for school

we all get on the boat there were a couple guys who hadn’t been diving in a few years the captain ask them if they would like to do a check out, they declined

One of those guys asked if he had to stay with the group or can you go off on your own. the weather was insane they said stay with the group

this guy immediately went off on his own before the whole group was together the bottom.

this idiot got down there said he was looking for his camera dropped a weight and panicked dropped another weight popped up to the top

needless to say the entire dive was a total **** show because one guy who hadn”t dove in five years thought he was too cool for school

I really hope you find your computer. So this guy takes the time to ask permission to break away from the group, is told NO, and does it anyway ... after being out of the water for 5 years. He was a liability. I hope the captain gave him an ear full and doesn't let him back on the boat.

I was just looking at the Atmos dive computers. Was there anything different about yours - i.e., did it have a blue strap instead of black? Anything to help divers see it? (It really will be a small miracle - but hey, they happen, right?)

sucks when a peice of gear gets lost. especially when it is an expensive piece.

sounds like a number of things went wrong (which is usually the case).

perhaps the weather was bad enough the dives should have been cancelled ? i wasn't there obviously. :)

many shops will require either a brief check out in the pool or at least restrict any diver who has not been diving in a year or more to easy, shallow dives. the shop may have made an error in judement on that one. how deep were you guys ?

sounds like a real cowboy. i love when divers feel they can ignore the instructions of the people they are paying to take them diving. haha that is a sure fire way to find yourself on shore next time cuz the shop refuses to take you out.

well i hope that diver is safe and unharmed. sorry your day was ruined. did the shop compensate you all in any way ? i would have been willing to assist in locating the diver as well, but if i had to sacrifice my dive to do so, there should be some way the shop could make it up to me next time.

I really hope you find your computer. So this guy takes the time to ask permission to break away from the group, is told NO, and does it anyway ... after being out of the water for 5 years. He was a liability. I hope the captain gave him an ear full and doesn't let him back on the boat.

I was just looking at the Atmos dive computers. Was there anything different about yours - i.e., did it have a blue strap instead of black? Anything to help divers see it? (It really will be a small miracle - but hey, they happen, right?)

no special markings on the ATMOS
I know it is gone
Almost upgraded to shearwater before I left so lucked out there

perhaps the weather was bad enough the dives should have been cancelled ? i wasn't there obviously. :)

many shops will require either a brief check out in the pool or at least restrict any diver who has not been diving in a year or more to easy, shallow dives. the shop may have made an error in judement on that one. how deep were you guys ?

sounds like a real cowboy. i love when divers feel they can ignore the instructions of the people they are paying to take them diving. haha that is a sure fire way to find yourself on shore next time cuz the shop refuses to take you out.

well i hope that diver is safe and unharmed. sorry your day was ruined. did the shop compensate you all in any way ? i would have been willing to assist in locating the diver as well, but if i had to sacrifice my dive to do so, there should be some way the shop could make it up to me next time.

My son wasn”t feeling well … gluten issue not confitions so we all sat out the second dive captain my son and I hung out and we’re talking

I mentioned it was my worst dive ever full cash refund

was shocked

The dive op was bad news
Don't dive with Dive Saint Martin.
Don't do it

Eating exhaust on the boat
Dive should have been called off
They should have required that the divers who hadn't dove in five years get checked out
Communication between DM and captain was awful
Everything was bad

We then went wirh SXM Divers and had a blast!
Three guys, they know what they are doing, very professional, fun guys, focused on safety, they put us on some grewat dives.

I spoke to some other folks who went out with another shop and had a rough time, not organized, they said it took forever to get off the doc

SXM was the way to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom