How do you hover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I use cyclic to maintain position, collective to maintain height and pedals to maintain heading..........wait.........never mind, I thought you were asking how to hover helicopter.:poke:
For diving, what they said above

Often towards the end of dives during a safety stop or just when I am above a reef I will hover around. Sometimes hovering and not moving about you get to see marine life that you might not otherwise see.

The first and most important thing is to realize that your trim and buoyancy are crap. Since everyone always told me that I was a good diver for a beginner, I never worked on it and felt like a god underwater.... When I started my first Tek course there were clear requirements for trim and buoyancy (+-0.5m at deco stop while standing face to face with your buddy) that I effectively started working on.

You can only get a complete zero line with a rebreather, your breathing will always have an influence on your depth. You will learn relatively quickly how to adjust your breathing to be stable in the water. Personally the deco stops have helped me a lot, to hold a certain depth for 10 minutes is already exhausting if the buoyancy does not fit :D It is also important to have the right amount of weights. I was able to put down 3KG, 3KG are 3L volume in the jacked that can not be expanded or compressed.

What has stressed me more is the trim. Because my trim was bad I had to work with my fins always to keep my position. Through the small movements with the fin I have not even really noticed myself I always slid a little forward.

I made a video of myself, identified that I move the fins and on the next dive consciously kept the fins still. Out came that I am slightly forward right beggekippt. Lead and bottle rigging I have then optimized in several dives until the trim was perfect. Now I have no problems to hold the position :)

What was also important, I have at the beginning with the dry suit tarriert and my Sidemount BCD not used at all. When I started filling my drysuit just enough to be comfortable, I was able to improve my trim as well. The bubble in the drysuit could no longer move and wander as much.

Regards from Switzerland
Pareto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom