New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For 1/8" and above, I use the Selma fids, like SELMA Selma Splicing Fids Set | West Marine The 5 piece set in stores doesn't include the instruction manual and costs less. Like everything else from West Marine, you can find it cheaper online elsewhere. Works great for everything from reef hooks to lift bag tails to all kinds of tow lines up to 3/4" diameter. Unfortunately 1/8" is just a little too thick to fit through the Blacktip nose / handle holes

For 7/64" (or smaller), I'll use a variety of options because it's harder to work with. I picked up a 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm set of stainless needles from eBay, but still looking for something better. I just picked up the Marlow Riggers Splicing Needle from Offshore Spars but haven't tried it yet, and heard the Marlow Kiteline Splicing Needle is the best for really small diameter dyneema hollow core

For 1/8" and above, I use the Selma fids, like SELMA Selma Splicing Fids Set | West Marine The 5 piece set in stores doesn't include the instruction manual and costs less. Like everything else from West Marine, you can find it cheaper online elsewhere. Works great for everything from reef hooks to lift bag tails to all kinds of tow lines up to 3/4" diameter. Unfortunately 1/8" is just a little too thick to fit through the Blacktip nose / handle holes

For 7/64" (or smaller), I'll use a variety of options because it's harder to work with. I picked up a 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm set of stainless needles from eBay, but still looking for something better. I just picked up the Marlow Riggers Splicing Needle from Offshore Spars but haven't tried it yet, and heard the Marlow Kiteline Splicing Needle is the best for really small diameter dyneema hollow core

Thanks!

From your profile, it looks like you're somewhat local to me. If you want any help with splicing hollow core dyneema let me know

Appreciate it...

@laikabear any chance you could point me on where you found / how you built the double handle ? How do you operate the DPV while using your left hand ? I guess the switch is still on the right handle.

@laikabear any chance you could point me on where you found / how you built the double handle ? How do you operate the DPV while using your left hand ? I guess the switch is still on the right handle.

@Patrick Sadowski is your man

If you are on Facebook, send @Patrick Sadowski a message. He makes the T handles. There is also a FB group for Dive Xtras that has lots of great info and some footage of the T handle in action. It is a nice little community for us BT owners.

You can drive the scooter with the thumb of either hand with the T handle. Your right hand will use the pad of your thumb and left hand the top of your thumb. (You still have the stock trigger). The left handle gives a place for the rest of your hand, either while driving left-handed or not. I often have both hands on the handles just cruising.

Without the T handle, you are trying to drive with your left pinkie, which I found impossible in dry gloves. Hope that helps! :)

Without the T handle, you are trying to drive with your left pinkie, which I found impossible in dry gloves. Hope that helps! :)

Or you could use the aftermarket firmware and drive it on Cruise Control?

Or you could use the aftermarket firmware and drive it on Cruise Control?

That is true! I have now started to explore using the aftermarket cruise control from the firmware mods that Benjamin Woodill so kindly released. 4 clicks to engage and one click to disengage. Cruise is a little scary though, so I only use it in certain situations so far. I only have about 20 scooter dives at this point and I'm trying to be careful not to get myself in trouble. :)

But really the issue in driving without the T-handle is in changing gears. I could take over with my left hand and hold the trigger, but I definitely couldn't shift. My dry gloves do limit my pinkie mobility a lot though. My giving the deco symbol (pinkie up) is pretty lame. I kind of look like Dr. Evil and not a Big Girl Tech Diver calling the stops.

Edit: Of course I know you know what the deco symbol is, just defined it for anyone who doesn't know.

upload_2021-8-31_9-41-20.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom