Replacement for Crystal Simple Green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes washing powder, that one mixes with hot hot water and tests in an inconspicuous area for plating fastness
Whoa! Learned more than I expected from that simple link. Biggest thing I took away is that you can't combine an anionic detergent with your acid bath, or the acid will neutralize the detergent cleaning action. Now I have to see if the tiny bit of Simple Green Crystal that I add to my homemade phosphoric acid ultrasonic cleaning solution is anionic or non-ionic.
@couv ?

Whoa! Learned more than I expected from that simple link. Biggest thing I took away is that you can't combine an anionic detergent with your acid bath, or the acid will neutralize the detergent cleaning action. Now I have to see if the tiny bit of Simple Green Crystal that I add to my homemade phosphoric acid ultrasonic cleaning solution is anionic or non-ionic.
@couv ?
Simple Green is non-ionic

Now I have to see if the tiny bit of Simple Green Crystal that I add to my homemade phosphoric acid ultrasonic cleaning solution is anionic or non-ionic.
@couv ?

You're asking me? I got the recipe from you. :) Yes, I tweaked it to a closer match of LFW, but you're the Walter White of Scuba Maintenance. Anyway, @grantctobin answered the chemistry question and I've no reason to doubt him. The bigger question is whether Simple Green reduces the effectiveness of our home brew to an unacceptable level when diluted for use in an ultrasonic cleaner. Comparing our home brew to plain water I would say it does not. Additionally, when used at a higher strength, i.e. 15% phosphoric acid (not for use in an US cleaner) then transferred into a baking soda bath-the foaming action tells me the solution is still plenty acidic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom