Dr Hubby is brushing off weird urchin sting symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all! My husband is a doctor, and as such, makes for a terrible patient. Anyways, we’ve been in Hawaii and we’ve dove the last 12 days. Early on in the trip, he got pushed by surge into an urchin in his right shoulder. He developed localized red welts. He has taken antihistamines (Benadryl) but that is the only “treatment” so far.

Over the last week, the welts have spread over his upper body. I wouldn’t call it a rash, necessarily, as it is disperse. One welt roughly every 2-3 inches. But he keeps brushing it off and saying that it is improving, doesn’t hurt anymore, etc.

Is there anything serious to be concerned about?

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I got an Urchin spine in my knuckle 6-7 years ago. I forgot about it almost as soon as it happened. Then about 7-10 days later it swelled up alarmingly. I got some antibiotics and it seemed to clear up. I was left with some stiffness in the joint for a few months but that also faded over time.

DAN +1

DAN +1 but he needs to see a doctor. In the meantime, you should be pouring vinegar into the spike sites and leaving a vinegar soaked rag on the area. You should do this as often and as long as possible.

But definitely call DAN and see a doctor.

OP husband is a doctor and sees one every morning in the mirror. He needs to see a different doctor.

OP husband is a doctor and sees one every morning in the mirror. He needs to see a different doctor.

Yes, of course, that is what I meant. I thank you for helping to emphasize that though.

Yes, of course, that is what I meant. I thank you for helping to emphasize that though.
Doctors are the worst patients. Second worst patients? Doctor’s parents.

A bit dated but written by our very own DocVikingo …

Diving Doc: Sea Urchin Punctures

Unless a systemic allergic reaction, which it does not sound like, it isn’t an emergency. At this point it’s mostly treat the symptoms and monitor for infection.

A bit dated but written by our very own DocVikingo …

Diving Doc: Sea Urchin Punctures

Unless a systemic allergic reaction, which it does not sound like, it isn’t an emergency. At this point it’s mostly treat the symptoms and monitor for infection.

Wow, no vinegar? I'm surprised because I'd believed that would help dissolve the calcium of the spines. I knew about the hot water but it's been a week already and not so easy to soak a part of back near the shoulder as it is a foot or a hand.

But Doctor Vikingo was our guy for many years! So that's the word.

My concern was that the rash is spreading, as per OP. Isn't that indicative of this going in the wrong direction?

Back
Top Bottom