Asking for Turneffe dive resort recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know which of these resorts would be most cost effective for the single traveller, ie., lowest single supplement?

Probably Huracan followed by Blackbird since they are the cheapest of the bunch or at least were the last time I checked.

I've been to TIR in the past and think it's fantastic. But I am curious for those that have been in Placencia v Turneffe which do they prefer?

Well, while they are both great places to vacation, they are two very different experiences.

As you know, at TIR you're confined to a 12-acre island, but life could be worse than having to hang out on a beautiful tropical island. There's little to do besides eat, sleep, dive and hang out. You walk anywhere you want to go in under five minutes, which is mainly from your well-appointed cabana to the Lodge and/or boat dock and back again. Diving is quick and easy. If you want to just chill, TIR is perfect.

In Placencia, the place is bigger so if you're walking you'll have to walk further. The level of accommodations is pretty much up to you and your budget. There's more to do if you so choose, like going to restaurants, some shopping, etc or you can just hang out on the beach or at the pool. Diving is a little more involved as you have to arrange it with a dive shop and the boat rides to the reef and back take longer. You can also rent a car and hit the one and only highway up the peninsula to go hiking in the Catscomb Basin Jaguar Preserve, visit Mayan ruins, ride a zip line and/or go cave tubing. If you want to stray further, there's tons of jungle, a Pine Forest, San Ignacio to the west, Punta Gorda to the south and so on.

Our first two trips to Belize were to TIR. We loved it but didn't feel like we were really getting to know Belize, which is a wonderful country with a lot to offer. So we headed south to Placencia to dive from there and then use it as a jumping off point to travel around the country sightseeing and doing the things I mentioned above.

I prefer Placencia and have been back many times. It's easier on the wallet, which helps, but the big draw for me is that I like to move around. Others may prefer TIR, and I totally get that. I might return to TIR someday, but I kind of feel like I've been there and done that. I prefer the variety of my trips to Placencia and there's always something new to do and see.

Another long-time poster, Stoo, has stayed at both TIR and Huracan. Per Stoo, you get a lot more value at Huracan as it's much cheaper and he now prefers it to TIR. For my wife, the lack of air-conditioning is a non-starter.

I woke up with my ears burning...

We have stayed at TIR three times, and Huracan... eleven. Ugh. They're very different experiences, but both excellent. TIR is awesome in every way... lodging, food, staff etc. The diving is very good. However...

Each time we were at TIR, we always found the diving at Halfmoon Caye to be the best. On a trip back, I asked Brad the DM what the roof on "that island" was, that was just across the way from Halfmoon. It was ITZA Resort on Halfmoon Caye. That led to some noodling about on the Interweb, discovering Huracan. I think the deciding factor was the single-supplement as we had a girlfriend coming with us.

Now, full disclosure: We have been to Huracan so many times, that we have become good friends with the owner and manager. As a result, we get a great rate, but honestly, that only makes a sweet trip sweeter.

As others have mentioned, Huracan is a "fewer frills" operation than TIR. This is not to say it's inferior, just fewer options to amuse yourself. The rooms are gorgeous, and the food is amazing. It has evolved since our first trips there. The lack of AC isn't an issue for us. Being from Canada, we're just happy to be warm when we head down to Belize. The fans are adequate for us. I also like the smaller carbon footprint. TIR runs diesel generators 24/7, and as a result, AC, unlimited desalinated water etc. Huracan is 90% (or so) solar power, augmented with a small gennie that runs during high use times. Similarly, composting toilets, vs septic system etc.

However, my original feeling about the diving was valid. The diving at Huracan is vastly superior to the great diving at Turneffe. More walls, fewer people, easy access to Halfmoon, and an entirely superiour Bluehole dive. (Huracan is 12 minutes from the hole... so we are finished our dives before the big boats arrive from all over the place. We will be the only people there normally. We do a fair bit of deeper diving at home, so we sling stage bottles in the Blue Hole, and make it a real dive, rather than a quick bounce with a bunch of marginally-capable mobs kicking the crap out of everything. (In fairness, I know our dive is not typical of Huracan BH dives, but the lack of crowds definitely is standard.

So really, you can't go wrong with either place. If diving is your priority, go to Huracan. If diving is important, but you enjoy a few more creature comforts, try Turneffe.

Here's a shot of Missus Stoo in the GBH. There are a few other people around someplace, but we're doing our thing.

Blue Hole close © DSC_0387.jpg

I woke up with my ears burning...

We have stayed at TIR three times, and Huracan... eleven. Ugh. They're very different experiences, but both excellent. TIR is awesome in every way... lodging, food, staff etc. The diving is very good. However...

Each time we were at TIR, we always found the diving at Halfmoon Caye to be the best. On a trip back, I asked Brad the DM what the roof on "that island" was, that was just across the way from Halfmoon. It was ITZA Resort on Halfmoon Caye. That led to some noodling about on the Interweb, discovering Huracan. I think the deciding factor was the single-supplement as we had a girlfriend coming with us.

Now, full disclosure: We have been to Huracan so many times, that we have become good friends with the owner and manager. As a result, we get a great rate, but honestly, that only makes a sweet trip sweeter.

As others have mentioned, Huracan is a "fewer frills" operation than TIR. This is not to say it's inferior, just fewer options to amuse yourself. The rooms are gorgeous, and the food is amazing. It has evolved since our first trips there. The lack of AC isn't an issue for us. Being from Canada, we're just happy to be warm when we head down to Belize. The fans are adequate for us. I also like the smaller carbon footprint. TIR runs diesel generators 24/7, and as a result, AC, unlimited desalinated water etc. Huracan is 90% (or so) solar power, augmented with a small gennie that runs during high use times. Similarly, composting toilets, vs septic system etc.

However, my original feeling about the diving was valid. The diving at Huracan is vastly superior to the great diving at Turneffe. More walls, fewer people, easy access to Halfmoon, and an entirely superiour Bluehole dive. (Huracan is 12 minutes from the hole... so we are finished our dives before the bog boats arrive from all over the place. We will be the only people there normally. We do a fair bit of deeper diving at home, so we sling stage bottles in the Blue Hole, and make it a real dive, rather than a quick bounce with a bunch of marginally-capable mobs kicking the crap out of everything. (In fairness, I know our dive is not typical of Huracan BH dives, but the lack of crowds definitely is standard.

So really, you can't go wrong with either place. If diving is your priority, go to Huracan. If diving is important, but you enjoy a few more creature comforts, try Turneffe.

Here's a shot of Missus Stoo in the GBH. There are a few other peope around someplace, but we're doing our thing.

View attachment 672665

The sandy ledge at 150'!! Yes?

I think I'm going to have to give Hurracan a shot. Are they up and running?
They are! We just booked 10 days in March again. My one concern with being way offshore was in being able to get the required COVID test required to come home. Apparently a suitable test is available at the airport now, that fits the requirement.

What is the cheapest way to stay and dive in the Atolls?

You would have to compare pricing.... There is definitely a range, but it isn't huge. I know some shops from Toronto have run "budget" trips to Belize Dive Haven (Owner is a Canadian) but I don't know how it would compare if you're not in a group. I think there may have been some "new place" incentives as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom