Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When 2.8 billion Chinese and Indians catch up with your way of living, we will all be drowning in $hip. Live and let live implies that you respect life, you also leave others including your children something back.
World Population Clock: 7.9 Billion People (2021) - Worldometer

2021 World Population by Country
1. China: 18.34%
2. India: 17.69%
3. USA : 4.23%
4. Indonesia: 3.5%
5. Pakistan: 2.8%
6. Brazil: 2.7%
Interestingly they all suffer very badly with Covid(figure for china is unknown).
Perhaps Nature is doing something here!

We are all in this slowly sinking boat.

When 2.8 billion Chinese and Indians catch up with your way of living, we will all be drowning in $hip. Live and let live implies that you respect life, you also leave others including your children something back.
Rather than updating my old dive computer to a Garmin Mk 2, I’ll take a couple of interesting shells home as a memento of my trip. Would that be a fair trade?

I would really like you to explain it to me how me killing a fish is different from you paying someone else to kill a fish. Fish is dead either way. What's the difference?
No, no, don't ask that. This feels enough like judgment day already.

I would really like you to explain it to me how me killing a fish is different from you paying someone else to kill a fish. Fish is dead either way. What's the difference?

The Longstanding Debate over Vegetarianism in Tibet

Heard the similar story on meat eating in Tibet when I was lucky enough to spend a month travelling there in later 80s. Before they closed the occupied country for many yrs until quite recently to organized tour only.

Rather than updating my old dive computer to a Garmin Mk 2, I’ll take a couple of interesting shells home as a memento of my trip. Would that be a fair trade?

That's a good point.

We can't isolate a 1-2 hour activity out of the whole day or maybe the whole week. It isn't a way to justify anybody's action but it is sum of one's actions what either damages, benefits or maintains the same. We each need to decide what is reasonable and sustainable.

We all have different impact on the planet, unless you shadow a person 24/7 for several months, you can't judge this person's impact. Understanding that typically someone not giving a $hit about the environment topside may show the same disregard underwater, and that's where perspective and common sense come into play. On this situation one size doesn't fit all.

Of course we can all do better. My battle is against plastic waste, I put a los of my time and energy avoiding disposables and removing any plastic I see in the ocean.

I know a person that every summer stays up at night guarding turtle's nests, but she also get lobsters when it is legal to harvest them. I wish I had her energy, I can't go to work if I stay up 3 hours in the middle of the night, she can so she does it. Without knowing anything else about her (which happens to be extremely planet friendly), should she be judged negatively for catching a couple of lobsters ?

Judging and accusing may work among governments to have mandates on big industries/corporations, but with individuals I don't think that tactic will end well.

Wow, I didn't even realise it's you. I saw the picture, but didn't look bellow it. Like it
It's my new diving hat. I've been trying to find a colorful one for a while and Dakine finally came through.
My battle is against plastic waste,
As is mine. I don't buy bottled water... rather I have it on tap here at the farm. I get kind of upset when visitors ask me for bottled water or bring it onto the property. We have several water bottlers in the area, and this is the same water they're selling. It's why I grow food and love the slogan reduce, reuse, recycle. I was recently adopted by Nuggets, my velocirooster will be raising chickens soon.

But I shoot fish and so I'm a shmuck. I'm strangely OK with that. :D

It's why I grow food ...
You openly admit to grow your own food?

So you have a lettuce or a carrot or whatever growing peacefully in the dirt, minding its own business and suddenly you yank/cut it out ? Shouldn't you be going to Publix and get it there? I bet you feel satisfaction getting that carrot too, the shame.

Well I'd never do that... I grow milkweed so there's always butterflies in my yard. I'm obviously better than you.
...wait I also take empty shells that I put around the milkweed, maybe I'm not better than you.

It's my new diving hat. I've been trying to find a colorful one for a while and Dakine finally came through.

As is mine. I don't buy bottled water... rather I have it on tap here at the farm. I get kind of upset when visitors ask me for bottled water or bring it onto the property. We have several water bottlers in the area, and this is the same water they're selling. It's why I grow food and love the slogan reduce, reuse, recycle. I was recently adopted by Nuggets, my velocirooster will be raising chickens soon.

But I shoot fish and so I'm a shmuck. I'm strangely OK with that. :D
15 tonnes per capita co2 per year.. CO2 Emissions per Capita - Worldometer . How about first getting your government to sign Kyoto protocol? I will look up to you if you pursue that goal instead of killing fish for fun, collecting items from the ocean, or growing your own food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom