New Blacktip setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another compass option that a lot use is the Sea Rover Kayak Compass off Amazon.

We tried using those, when the Blacktip first came out. Due to battery or metal or motor windings (magnetic field), could never get those to NOT come up with some sort of deviation, to the tune of 5-10 degrees. Thus, we spawned our compass mount solution.

Like the handles.

Totally agree about spare handles; they do break off

The scooter is made of plastic, as are the handles. While we provide rigorous real world testing for our handles, and dive all our products, anything subject to abuse, will most certainly fail. Treat your gear correctly, and it will provide you many years of pleasure. The other thing about the T handle, is the ability to open up diving, on the Blacktip, to divers who are disabled, and who don't have full use of their right hand. By incorporating this design onto the scooter, you can not only drive the scooter, but change gears with easy. For others, they like the ability to action the trigger with the left thumb, while either adjusting gear, working on a camera, or just giving the right hand/thumb a break...

Spares...

I managed to catch the handle on the dive lift when jumping off a boat. Gravity won, handle nill.

I got a replacement handle moulding, grip, and trigger return spring. Not expensive and straightforward to fit (although did need to ream the trigger "hole" with a 6mm drill bit as the trigger snagged).

From that experience I realise that the handle is a definite weak point so need to keep it protected when getting on/off the boat and transporting. Might consider getting another set for the spares box.

They just got them back in stock at DiveX

Congrats on the BlackTip purchase!

Lots of useful comments and techniques here from folks.

I keep my bolt snap free-running.

I used some red Dyneema (spearfishing diameter) to create a short loop at the nosecone handle. I clip my bolt snap into that when not clipped into my scooter ring. Works well for me when I want to wrap my towline around something to anchor it on the deck or on a wreck.

12Ah set and 9Ah set and a two bank charger (what I have) is a good arrangement for a full day of diving (cave day, multiple shore dives from a resort, LOB). I can wear out the 9Ah set on a two tank recreational boat dive (e.g, lapping a reef crown). Technical boat dive probably not (run out of time before battery). I can wear out the 12Ah on a super long coastal dive (several hours).

Like others have said, it’s a great scooter. I was going to pick up a second Travel version in August but got hit with a $1400 repair bill for my race bike. The second BlackTip is going to have to wait a minute til my wallet catches its breath.

Blacktips had been coming with tow lines; wait until yours arrives until you decide you need to go buy another. I like the bolt snap to ride freely on the tow line, but that's a matter of personal preference.

A bolt snap on the nose definitely helps. A lot of people do the whole paracord macramé thing, I just have a simple line with loops on both ends, a big bolt snap on one end and a stainless o-ring on the other. You can use it to help hand the scooter up and down to crew on a boat.

I was thinking more along the line of the front bolt snap than replacing the tow line. I have DIR stage line, and a ton of bolt snaps (so many that I think I might have a problem), just figure I might to use what I already have than buy the front snap kit.

I have several friends with much more expensive scooters, and I am very happy with my Blacktip. It keeps up and I don't feel any regrets at not having the premium option.

I think there is a space for quality but not expedition grade scooters. I won't take this 5,000 feet back in a cave, but tooling around some wrecks and maybe getting me to the Maple Leaf, it seems like a good option. And when I am ready for an expedition grade scooter to go a mile back in the cave, I can use this as a back up tow scooter.

We tried using those, when the Blacktip first came out. Due to battery or metal or motor windings (magnetic field), could never get those to NOT come up with some sort of deviation, to the tune of 5-10 degrees. Thus, we spawned our compass mount solution.

I never noticed any deviation. I thought I might see something under load, but I guess I got my wiring and metal stuff far enough away. Never an issue. I have better accuracy with the kayak compass than the NERD. If there is any magnetic interference error, it is less than the operator error.

When you say you had error, I completely believe it. I was expecting some myself. More surprising was that I didn't have any. Made me happy.

... I used some red Dyneema (spearfishing diameter) to create a short loop at the nosecone handle. I clip my bolt snap into that when not clipped into my scooter ring. Works well for me when I want to wrap my towline around something to anchor it on the deck or on a wreck....

7/64" dyneema is the right size. Ideally, splice locking brummel loops on each end, since tying knots that don't slip in dyneema doesn't work too well. Lark's head knot through the bolt snap, pull through the holes on the Blacktip nose, then a 1" stainless o-ring so you can clip off the bolt snap when underway so it's not dangling or catching on things
PXL_20200823_021600710 (1).jpg

IMG_20200315_155304 (1).jpg

I was thinking more along the line of the front bolt snap than replacing the tow line. I have DIR stage line, and a ton of bolt snaps (so many that I think I might have a problem), just figure I might to use what I already have than buy the front snap kit...

The Blacktip is a good size so if you're cruising along a reef and kicking, you can just clip off the nose to your chest D-ring like a stage bottle to conveniently keep it out of the way

Another handy trick is to put a loop of line through one of the screws holding the shroud, either with the ridiculously overpriced little bent piece of metal from Dive-X like the one they use for the bottom of the tow cord, or use a stainless cable guide. It's very convenient for clipping off various doodads and keeping them accessible, or to clip a mesh bag (or game bag) to. I do this on working dives for underwater cleanups with a mesh bag full of lift bags, which makes it easy to grab as needed. Essentially a soft D-ring you don't have to reach behind you for. Just make sure nothing clipped on is going to get sucked into your prop!

...I think there is a space for quality but not expedition grade scooters. I won't take this 5,000 feet back in a cave, but tooling around some wrecks and maybe getting me to the Maple Leaf, it seems like a good option. And when I am ready for an expedition grade scooter to go a mile back in the cave, I can use this as a back up tow scooter.

For underwater cleanup working dives, i.e., cruising along, looking for debris, and either towing or sending to the surface with lift bags and continuing to look for more debris, the Blacktip is at least as capable as much more expensive Suex, Subgravity or Dive-X scooters (we've used them all). If you're near a breakwall with moderate or worse surge, the Blacktip is the best of the lot because it doesn't get caught up on as much stuff, or knock you as hard with the surge because it's lighter / less mass. In really crappy viz, speed 1 is roughly the same as kicking, so you can conserve energy while everyone else is kicking to move forward

7/64" dyneema is the right size. Ideally, splice locking brummel loops on each end, since tying knots that don't slip in dyneema doesn't work too well. Lark's head knot through the bolt snap, pull through the holes on the Blacktip nose, then a 1" stainless o-ring so you can clip off the bolt snap when underway so it's not dangling or catching on things
View attachment 672471

View attachment 672472

The Blacktip is a good size so if you're cruising along a reef and kicking, you can just clip off the nose to your chest D-ring like a stage bottle to conveniently keep it out of the way

I do love me some Amsteel. Splice locking brummel loops is a excellent idea for more then just this. Where did you pick up your needle for threading at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom