How hard is the written test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At one time, you could download the test bank. I had a far easier time memorizing 10,000 test bank questions (and the wrong answers) than actually learning the knowledge.
I didn't do exactly that but pretty close. Actually figuring out what was <precisely> being asked was 100x harder than the answer.

Western Rivers gives downbound the right of way. But I doubt it's on the test. And yes the Huey P Long bridge has less clearance than the GNO bridge in the City. But the river pilot knows this. The occasional problem is when the Chief Engineer starts deballasting to get ready to load cargo, and doesn't quite let the wheelhouse know--Ooops..

I'm renewing now, and was waiting for the folks in West Virginia to send me the open-book test, as usual. And just got the welcome word by email that my application is "completed evaluation and is approved for issuance". Well, I won't argue with them, but I had expected to have to do the open-book test and mail it back. Maybe because it's my ninth issue? Just keep it quiet, okay? ;-)

Some of the language has changed over nine license issuances. Hell, it isn't even a license any more, it's a Credential. Now there's a sexy moniker if there ever was one. Right of way is now stand-on and not "privileged", or "has right of way" or other old-guy speech. burdened is give-way.

Anyway, to Original Poster, best wishes and nail the test.

I am on issue #6 and never had to take another test after the initial one.

I am on issue #6 and never had to take another test after the initial one.
right - if you keep your hours up they won't make you retest. if not, you can take a refresher with a private group, or test at a REC.

When a 6-pack, second issue, buddy of mine was taking the test for the sailing endorsement, I took the practice test cold, just to see how I would do. I passed. But I have been sailing boats since the 1970's & I've driven well over 50 different boats across a few thousand miles of geographical area, so my on the job experience is fairly good. If you are starting from zero, you will need to work hard to pack enough into your head inside a week to have a good chance of passing. That being said, I know of courses in the Fort Lauderdale area that prep guys for the 6-pack test in a week & most of them pass.

Experience is as important as book learning, which is why the days at sea requirement exists. You need to pass the written test & have a certain number of days at sea before your credential will be issued.

There are different licenses for different size boats, different areas & different specialties. An inland license is only good for inland waterways. A Great Lakes ticket covers inland as well as the Great Lakes. An off shore ticket covers all three. I may not have those names quite right, but the geographic limitations should be pretty close to right.

The lowest credential (other than a launch operator) is a "6-pack" license. This is not an official name, it's just what guys call it. This is what most people start with because you don't need a lot of days at sea to get it & your time on any old little boat counts. A 6-pack lets you take out an uninspected vessel with up to 6 paying passengers. Then there is a 50 ton masters, 100 ton masters, 200 ton masters, unlimited, etc. You can also get endorsements for sailboats, towing, etc on different licenses. There are a lot of guys with 6-pack or 50-ton masters licenses working as lowly crew on 100-ton & 200-ton boats, to build there time on boats of that size to qualify for days at sea for a license of that category. If you want a 200-ton license, you need time on 200-ton boats. The guys that drive cruise ships have unlimited ocean crossing tickets. Those generally take a long time to get.

I thought the USCG did away with the 50-ton license??

Hopefully not, I have one.

I looked at www.uscg.mil and they still list a 50-ton license as an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom