Trip Report Egypt - BD (almost E) - Emperor Elite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s me diving with a 15L Steel (fatter & shorter in comparison to AL80), so you have to readjust the tank cam band accordingly.

DECDF2C3-5F2A-4937-97BB-865B39B89734.jpeg

Here’s a diver on AL80, not paying attention to the Oceanic Whitetip sneaking behind him. I was banging my tank to get his attention, but he was too busy taking pictures of the other Oceanic Whitetip at the surface.

32D37B45-AEE1-46E6-B5A5-F180B6B12F0C.jpeg

That’s me diving with a 15L Steel (fatter & shorter in comparison to AL80), so you have to readjust the tank cam band accordingly.
View attachment 665502
For the less familiar with 15L Steel, you should mention, that your position on the back is not due to the tank, but due to that big fisch you want to catch with your camera.
:D:cool:

Thanks for the report. This time of year the off shore Egyptian islands and reefs are starting the hammer season and it "ends" in August/September. They can be seen year round with lots (tons) of luck, summer is much better time and the further into summer the further north. For Oceanic White tips, also possible year round, but the season is fall-winter.
Great that you and the other guests had a good time. Skipping Elphinstone and dive Abu Dabab instead sounds like the right choice for the guests on your cruise.
Diving on the edge of ones comfort zone is not a good idea. Wise to not bring a camera until you are 100% comfortable with your equipment, the set up and routines for a dive.
Diving in mentioned places is normally easy but can be demanding and outright dangerous some times. Currents can be very strong and change quickly, as can wind and the sea gets very choppy.
I found your comment on Big Brothers relative color interesting. Did you dive the Numidia on the north point? Allthough I agree L Brother is generally the more colorful of the two.

0EC5D25D-AF08-429A-994E-28C4FB31657A.jpeg

Hi Bvbellomo;

On my next trip to the Red Sea I will be on the Emperor Elite, how was the boat, the zodiacs and the general organisation ? Would you do the Elite again ?

Cheers

Hi Bvbellomo;

On my next trip to the Red Sea I will be on the Emperor Elite, how was the boat, the zodiacs and the general organisation ? Would you do the Elite again ?

Cheers

I would go again, but this is only my 2nd liveaboard, and different people value different things. This repeats some of what I already said, but:

They had good dive guides, especially the head guide. But they were very laid back and hands off. I think some in my group would rather have been lead everywhere and shown everything and the guides were more used to people more independent exploring on their own. Both the head guide on this liveaboard and the captain on my first (Blackbeards) seem like people I'd trust my life to.

He was a little pessimistic describing the dangers - this shark can eat you, this scorpionfish is venomous and will kill you, here you can get swept over the reef and out to sea on the other side. I didn't mind, but I can see this upsetting some people.

The cabins are large for a liveaboard, which meant nothing to me since I only went there when I was too tired to do anything but sleep. The camera and charging areas still felt cramped even with lots of space elsewhere.

My first time in a zodiac, so I don't know how they compare to other zodiacs, but for me it was a tight fit, especially hurrying to get into the water and timing everyone in at the same time. Hard collisions did happen between me and other divers as well as me and the zodiac (usually someone at fault), I was not hurt, but our other boat had some older people, and I wonder how they managed, although I heard no complaints. The skipper did a good job knowing where to be, finding people and loading them in after the dive.

Thanks Bvbellemo,

Don't worry about first time or not, what is important for me is your first line, the fact that you would return on the same boat is already a good sign for me :)

I laughed at the Captains remarks, it's good that he presents the possible dangers but he shouldn't over dramatize either ...

As for the Zodiacs I can understand your comments, I agree that it takes time to learn the protocols and preparations but it comes quick and we learn quick :)

Any thanks for your reply , it was very much welcomed.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom