Improving trim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The problem:

My tank (steel HP100) is pretty heavy for me (~120lb) hence my upper body usually sinks lower. To compensate, I add some air to my BC. But then, my upper body tends to float higher ... I find myself to be in the 60 degree (or most 90 degree/vertical) position a lot.

I *think* I need to determine the right amount of air to add to my BC but I can't seem to find that ...
Help?

how is your weight distributed currently? do you have weights in tank cam pockets or trim pockets you can move lower?

how is your weight distributed currently? do you have weights in tank cam pockets or trim pockets you can move lower?

I have weights in my BC pockets, which sit around my hip - i don't think I can move it much lower because it means the tank will go down too, which makes it hard to frog kick (ie., my calves would hit the bottom of the tank).

Hmm, maybe I could loosen the shoulder strap so the weights go even lower but move the tank up on the tank band .....

try heavier fins or add a cam band with weight to the bottom of the tank.

edit: also, when you are in trim, how far out are your arms in front of you? if you are stretching them out in front of you, try pulling back to bring that weight back closer to your body.

Does one of your shops rent smaller tanks? I'm wondering if a steel 80 might fit you better.

Have you done a 15ft empty bc with 500 psi in the tank.

Does one of your shops rent smaller tanks? I'm wondering if a steel 80 might fit you better.

They do - but the 100HP is my tank and I would like to find a way to make it work, as it lasts me longer :D I'd rather stay 1.5 - 2 hours in the water than crawl out and switch tanks half way.

Have you done a 15ft empty bc with 500 psi in the tank.

I've done both full and empty actually. When it's full, I sink below the surface - when it's ~800psi, I'm at eye level.

Alex -

How tall are you? If you’re a shrimp the 100 might be too long for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom