Yellow - Sharks - Octo and Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Board - please feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

I ran into this article in Scuba Diver Life web site while searching for information on Shark Week. After reading the article my first question was: "Why every manufacturer builds "yellow" octopus and octo hoses?

Article excerpt:
If sharks are where you are diving, you will probably hear someone say that you should not wear yellow as part of your gear or exposure suit. - Yummy Yummy Yellow - Standard lore goes that sharks are more attracted to yellow than to any other color. (from Scuba Diver Life)

Do sharks prefer yellow? The Discovery Channel’s hit TV show Mythbusters took this question into consideration for one of their Shark Week specials. First, they put bait into the same type of bags in a variety of colors, including yellow. Then they dragged them behind a boat in shark-infested waters to see which ones the sharks went for most often. Their conclusion was that while sharks tended to go for bait first and foremost regardless of which bag it was in, there were slightly more attacks on the yellow bag.

Diver’s Alert Network (DAN) addressed this question and concluded that there is some truth to it. Sharks do not necessarily prefer yellow, but several shark species are attracted to any high-contrast color, such as yellow, orange, or red. These colors are easier for the shark to see, especially in murky water or up against a bright surface.

Yellow is often chosen for ocean-rescue equipment, such as emergency-flotation devices and life rafts, for the very same reason; high contrast means it is easy to spot.

So, while there’s no proof that sharks prefer any given color, it is true that they prefer high-contrast colors. So, when diving in areas sharks are known be, consider wearing black, blue, or dark gray exposure suits and gear, and avoid shiny, metallic elements that might attract both sharks and other marine predators, there is a reason fishing lures are made of shiny metal. Save the high-contrast color for signaling devices, such as a yellow or orange DSMB.

Ok, then yellow low-pressure hose and yellow Octo for the 3rd stage? Should this be changed?
Just curious of your opinion!

article: Shark Myth: Yum Yum Yellow • Scuba Diver Life

@The Chairman dives in a tie die T-Shirt and has for thousands upon thousands of dives, no issues. The industry has conducted tens of millions of dives with yellow octo hoses and second stages and no issues. I don't think the sharks care.... Sure there may be a small preference in the Mythbusters special, but towing bait bags behind a boat is a long way off from chilling out on a reef...

Its only because yellow is the color of fear.

If you want to shoot fish, with a camera or a gun, black is a horrible choice. One of the baddest fish on the reef is the Jewfish. Normally a chocolate brown, they turn several shades darker just prior to feeding. A fish seeing a large black object showing interest in it, is going to swim away or duck down into the nearest hole. Divers with new black wetsuits often get "nuttin but butts!" :D No one gets worried when a stoplight parrotfish approaches, so I mimic them.

Sharks, on the other hand, are wary of animals who fart out of their mouths. Like most fish, they just don't like bubbles.

In addition, sharks may be color blind. They only have one kind of cone receptor in their eyes... humans have three, so we get to see in color.

Finally, we just never see enough sharks unless we're hunting. Shoot a fish and let it quiver and Mr Sharkey will come to see what's for dinner. They rely on vibrations and smell far more than their eyes.

Sharks, on the other hand, are wary of animals who fart out of their mouths

That cracked me up, :p I have been saying for years " sounding like Darth Vador" , but yours is better.

Recently in Roatan a big ol' free swimming Moray Eel seemed to take a lot of interest in the yellow hoses on my double hose regulator. I don't think he actually made contact with it, but I do know his eye was about 4" away from mine. It's funny because I picked yellow trying to attract fish with a bright color.
At least the other people in the group got a big kick out of it.

but I do know his eye was about 4" away from mine.
He was probably seeing his reflection in your mask. I've had damsel fish attack the fish they saw in my mask. One nesting Sargeant Major was particularly aggressive in that regard. You can't enjoy all the other little critters when one keeps bopping your mask over and over and over and over... ad nausea.

He was probably seeing his reflection in your mask. I've had damsel fish attack the fish they saw in my mask. One nesting Sargeant Major was particularly aggressive in that regard. You can't enjoy all the other little critters when one keeps bopping your mask over and over and over and over... ad nausea.
A big Moray that close to your throat also holds your attention. :)

the Jack up here in NC like to go at tanks for some reason. Affectionately referred to as "attack jack" they will go in and start biting at your tanks, it's weird.

A big Moray that close to your throat also holds your attention. :)
With apologies to Fans of the real "Chairman of the Board" and those who love Amore.
When a fish bites your hand
And you don't understand,
That's a Moray!​

Back
Top Bottom